unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* blog post about shepher user services
@ 2021-05-22 10:22 Adriano Peluso
From: Adriano Peluso @ 2021-05-22 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel@gnu.org

There's this blog post:

https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2017/running-system-services-in-containers/

I have 2 observations about it

1) it mentions a XDG_CONFIG_DIR environment variable.
 But on my Ubuntu desktop, I find a XDG_CONFIG_DIRS (note the final S)
variable.
This could be confusing to someone not knowing well their way around.
Was this a simple slip ? Or is there any more specific reason for this
missing S ?

2) in the end it announces a second post about integrationg Shepherd
with mcron to come up with something that could substitute systemd's
timer funtionality.
It would be interesting to read the second blog post

* blog post about shepher user services
@ 2021-05-22 13:49 Leo Prikler
From: Leo Prikler @ 2021-05-22 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: randomlooser, guix-devel

Hi,

the blog post you've linked

https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2017/running-system-services-in-containers/
seems to neither contain mentions of XDG_CONFIG_DIR, nor mcron.

Did you mean
  https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2020/gnu-shepherd-user-services/
instead?

FWIW, $XDG_CONFIG_DIR should be $XDG_CONFIG_HOME, I myself always mix
those up as well.  As far as mcron integration is concerned, it doesn't
look as though this has been done yet and I think work remains to be
done to have mcron running "as a part of shepherd" rather than as its
own daemon.  You can right now already run regular cron-jobs through
mcron just how people did before systemd was a thing.  You just need to
make sure you launch mcron as a user service if you want to go with
this particular configuration style, otherwise mcron as a system
service ought to suffice as well.

Regards,
Leo

* Re: blog post about shepher user services
@ 2021-05-22 14:42 ` Adriano Peluso
From: Adriano Peluso @ 2021-05-22 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Prikler, guix-devel

Il giorno sab, 22/05/2021 alle 15.49 +0200, Leo Prikler ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> the blog post you've linked
>
> https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2017/running-system-services-in-containers/
> seems to neither contain mentions of XDG_CONFIG_DIR, nor mcron.
>
> Did you mean
>   https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2020/gnu-shepherd-user-services/
> instead?

yes, I pasted the wrong one, sorry

> FWIW, $XDG_CONFIG_DIR should be $XDG_CONFIG_HOME, I myself always mix
> those up as well.

Good to know

> As far as mcron integration is concerned, it doesn't
> look as though this has been done yet and I think work remains to be
> done to have mcron running "as a part of shepherd" rather than as its
> own daemon.  You can right now already run regular cron-jobs through
> mcron just how people did before systemd was a thing.  You just need
> make sure you launch mcron as a user service if you want to go with
> this particular configuration style, otherwise mcron as a system
> service ought to suffice as well.
>
> Regards,
> Leo

Ok, thanks