unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu>
To: "Simon Tournier" <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com>,
	"Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org>
Cc: Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr>,
	guix-devel@gnu.org, Lars-Dominik Braun <lars@6xq.net>
Subject: Re: OCaml bootstrap
Date: Thu, 04 May 2023 12:01:03 +0200	[thread overview]

Le 4 mai 2023 10:41:18 GMT+02:00, Simon Tournier <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com> a écrit :
>Hi,
>
>On Wed, 03 May 2023 at 23:25, Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:
>
>>>Julien, do you happen to know if there are plans to make camlboot more
>>>capable so it can be used to build newer versions of OCaml?  Maybe
>>>something to discuss with Nathanaëlle Courant and Gabriel Scherer?
>
>> We had some discussion here, but there's still some work to do:
>> https://github.com/Ekdohibs/camlboot/issues/59
>
>Cool!
>
>Just to be sure, the discussion is from one year ago, right?  Any
>update?

No updates. I don't think any of us worked more on that than you can read.

>Well, rehashing, I think we could consider a full-bootstrap from source
>for OCaml.  Whatever the seed (4.07 or 4.09), we could consider it as
>done and fixed.  Here all the “inputs”:
>
>--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>     "bash-minimal@5.1.16"
>     "bash-minimal@5.1.16"
>     "binutils@2.38"
>     "bzip2@1.0.8"
>     "coreutils@9.1"
>     "diffutils@3.8"
>     "file@5.44"
>     "findutils@4.9.0"
>     "gawk@5.2.1"
>     "gcc@11.3.0"
>     "glibc-utf8-locales@2.35"
>     "glibc@2.35"
>     "grep@3.8"
>     "guile@3.0.9"
>     "gzip@1.12"
>     "ld-wrapper@0"
>     "libffi@3.4.4"
>     "libgc@8.2.2"
>     "libunistring@1.0"
>     "make@4.3"
>     "patch@2.7.6"
>     "pkg-config@0.29.2"
>     "sed@4.8"
>     "tar@1.34"
>     "xz@5.2.8"
>
>Only guile-3.0 is not a package deep in the graph.  All the others are.
>My question is: do we want to rebuild camlboot and then all the OCaml
>world each time we update one of these “inputs“?
>
>For example, what does it bring on the table to rebuild camlboot because
>grep had been updated?

I don't understand what you suggest here. I think grep is used in the Makefile, so we can't just remove it from the inputs. What would not building camlboot when grep is updated look like?

Have a grep-for-build that is never updated? Build camlboot once and repackage the binary (making it a bootstrap seed)?