Attila Lendvai schreef op ma 21-02-2022 om 09:29 [+0000]: > let me add, though, that a more apples-to-apples comparison here would be to > compare Bitcoin to the FED, and PoW to the costs of enforcing the PetroDollar > system on the entire world. Here PetroDollar = US dollar and FED=US Federal Government? > these costs not only include the direct environmental damages of wars and > militaries. more generally, it also includes the costs of enforcing a certain > economic structure globally, instead of potential better alternatives for > facilitating cooperation between strangers that may very well promote peace and > prosperity more effectively and efficiently than the current system. If the US Government enforces the US Dollar with wars etc., then this seems more a bug of the US than a benefit of Bitcoin to me. Also, I don't understand what you mean with ‘enforcing’ here. Locally, in Belgium, I can use the Euro as currency. The US isn't forcing me to use the US dollar, in fact I have never seen a US dollar in person and most (all?) local businesses accept the Euro as currency and most physical shops wouldn't accept foreign currency(*). I can also use the US dollar as currency to buy from overseas (after trading Euro for US dollar, this happens automatically when e-shopping), even though the US hasn't stationed military forces at the banks to force the banks to allow converting Euro<->US dollar. I'm not seeing any enforcement here, nor any need for enforcement to make the US dollar a usable currency. While the US would (does?) wage wars to force countries to trade with the US (and perhaps force them to accept US dollar maybe?), I don't see how Bitcoin would change this -- Bitcoin might change the currency used for the forced trade, but not the existence of the forced trade. (*) at least, I think so, I haven't ever tried. > and from that perspective i don't see the use of 'absurd amount' justified, by a large margin. > > and the more some of us disagree with the above, the more appropriate it seems to have been to use 'controversial morality' by Martin. Greetings, Maxime.