unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Can we integrate application-setup with the installation script?
@ 2021-06-05 10:47 Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2021-06-05 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix!

Quite a few people I know, who tried guix for first time on foreign
distro, mentioned to me that they presumed the installation script to
cover everything, including application-setup.

Is it possible to automate application-setup through the installation
script or is there a technical issue?

Regards,
RG.

* Re: Can we integrate application-setup with the installation script?
@ 2021-06-08 13:26 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-06-08 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghav Gururajan; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Raghav Gururajan <rg@raghavgururajan.name> skribis:

> Quite a few people I know, who tried guix for first time on foreign
> distro, mentioned to me that they presumed the installation script to
> cover everything, including application-setup.
>
> Is it possible to automate application-setup through the installation
> script or is there a technical issue?

That’d be nice.  I guess you can give it a try!

As an example, commit b2683a2bed424f58722c9c17c9582e3e2e19d9a3 added
support to check for the availability of nscd.  In the discussion at
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/43769#10> several issues were pointed out:
(1) the script cannot always guess how to install and start nscd, and
(2) it’s considered “bad style” to install stuff behind the user’s back.
This is why the script currently merely warns about a missing nscd.

Depending on the application setup bits you’d like to automate, you may
or may not encounter these issues.

HTH!

Ludo’.