* guix graph build phases
@ 2022-11-22 21:32 jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-11-22 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

hi,

`guix graph --phases` shows the order of phases for a particular package
and any custom phases that were introduced, deleted, replaced, etc. with
graphviz

wdyt

* Re: guix graph build phases
@ 2022-11-22 21:34 ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-11-22 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 15:32:54 -0600 jgart <jgart@dismail.de> wrote:
> wdyt

or maybe it should be:

guix build gnome-recipes --graph-phases

* Re: guix graph build phases
@ 2022-11-22 22:12 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2022-11-22 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart, Guix Devel

The graph will always be flat, since it's a list, so graphviz would be a bit overkill :). Being able to list phases could still be cool :)

Le 22 novembre 2022 22:32:54 GMT+01:00, jgart <jgart@dismail.de> a écrit :
>hi,
>
>`guix graph --phases` shows the order of phases for a particular package
>and any custom phases that were introduced, deleted, replaced, etc. with
>graphviz
>
>wdyt

* Re: guix graph build phases
@ 2022-11-22 22:43   ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-11-22 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: Guix Devel

On Tue, 22 Nov 2022 23:12:16 +0100 Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:
> The graph will always be flat, since it's a list, so graphviz would be a bit overkill :). Being able to list phases could still be cool :)

How about with the plantuml that have packaged?

* Re: guix graph build phases
@ 2022-11-23  6:12     ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2022-11-23  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: Guix Devel

I don't get why you want a picture. Could you share an example of what it would look like?

@ 2022-11-23  7:09       ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-11-23  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: Guix Devel

On Wed, 23 Nov 2022 07:12:55 +0100 Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:
> I don't get why you want a picture. Could you share an example of what it would look like?

I was just thinking of something like a flowchart for the build phases.

For example, python-build-system's phases as a flowchart in mermaidjs:

%% python-build-system phases
flowchart TB
    unpack -->
    ensure-no-mtimes-pre-1980 -->
    enable-bytecode-determinism -->
    ensure-no-cythonized-files -->
    build -->
    install -->
    add-install-to-pythonpath -->
    add-install-to-path -->
    wrap -->
    check -->
    sanity-check -->
    rename-pth-file -->
    strip

Here's the rendered mermaid flowchart:

https://kroki.io/mermaid/svg/eNptjz0OwjAMhfeeIgujJdhgYeAMXMBNjGKRP8WuqnJ6SloRCeHt2Z_t9w4HUxb1OcE4cXAgiyhFUzwKyfAIebYeq5r7bTBrTamgfRqAq2makkyVIGWIypEEyqpOl_Pxg-wEjoFgXJRsdgSOlGrkxBL_nbHNDL_IwYMDSWeavy45iWII3z_oHOw90AxbqILq-8ovsg_bbK5YOmk9bSmbEkysC3ybG1PXZJGgqG9OO62VyxteU2aW

The above diagram can easily be rewritten in plantuml and plantuml supports ascii diagrams also but ymmv:

https://www.planttext.com/api/plantuml/svg/RL0x2iCm3DrrYbn0q6vj0YK7wUBOAX6nPMChbFJqTPmiXMxl8_6UD1OrMTVW0PJLKvSsdQFWjB9tMBQY5Bgd0BGvW7wLPEmoG4zIrame4ODoe8AfiklzTccUcJpXj2dPw0WTAUN0mYNyRDeMnXzo-69FfPejk4DyLCnIKxq_cN4EJmKrub4q6Pt_U8VwpYQTotOckvou667Ti4cLvjes42QTMubzG3EdORyv9e2HnDK7VG40

@startuml
title python-build-system \n
start
:unpack;
:ensure-no-mtimes-pre-1980;
:enable-bytecode-determinism;
:ensure-no-cythonized-files;
:build -->;
:install -->;
:add-install-to-pythonpath;
:add-install-to-path;
:wrap -->;
:check -->;
:sanity-check;
:rename-pth-file;
:strip;
stop
@enduml

Where you thinking of capturing different information about the phases?

* Re: guix graph build phases
@ 2022-11-23  7:11         ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-11-23  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: Guix Devel

On Wed, 23 Nov 2022 01:09:43 -0600 jgart <jgart@dismail.de> wrote:

oops ignore the typos here:

> :build -->;
> :install -->;
> :add-install-to-pythonpath;
> :add-install-to-path;
> :wrap -->;
> :check -->;

* Re: guix graph build phases
@ 2022-11-23  7:29         ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-11-23  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: Guix Devel

On Wed, 23 Nov 2022 01:09:43 -0600 jgart <jgart@dismail.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2022 07:12:55 +0100 Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:

> %% python-build-system phases
> flowchart TB
>     unpack -->
>     ensure-no-mtimes-pre-1980 -->
>     enable-bytecode-determinism -->
>     ensure-no-cythonized-files -->
>     build -->
>     install -->
>     add-install-to-pythonpath -->
>     add-install-to-path -->
>     wrap -->
>     check -->
>     sanity-check -->
>     rename-pth-file -->
>     strip

The above is the unmodified python-build-system phases but our idea here
is to generate them for each package and to account for changes made by
the modify-phases macro?