unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: jgart <jgart@dismail.de>
To: Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu>
Cc: Guix Devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: guix graph build phases
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2022 01:09:43 -0600	[thread overview]

On Wed, 23 Nov 2022 07:12:55 +0100 Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:
> I don't get why you want a picture. Could you share an example of what it would look like?

I was just thinking of something like a flowchart for the build phases.

For example, python-build-system's phases as a flowchart in mermaidjs:

%% python-build-system phases
flowchart TB
    unpack -->
    ensure-no-mtimes-pre-1980 -->
    enable-bytecode-determinism -->
    ensure-no-cythonized-files -->
    build -->
    install -->
    add-install-to-pythonpath -->
    add-install-to-path -->
    wrap -->
    check -->
    sanity-check -->
    rename-pth-file -->
    strip

Here's the rendered mermaid flowchart:

https://kroki.io/mermaid/svg/eNptjz0OwjAMhfeeIgujJdhgYeAMXMBNjGKRP8WuqnJ6SloRCeHt2Z_t9w4HUxb1OcE4cXAgiyhFUzwKyfAIebYeq5r7bTBrTamgfRqAq2makkyVIGWIypEEyqpOl_Pxg-wEjoFgXJRsdgSOlGrkxBL_nbHNDL_IwYMDSWeavy45iWII3z_oHOw90AxbqILq-8ovsg_bbK5YOmk9bSmbEkysC3ybG1PXZJGgqG9OO62VyxteU2aW

The above diagram can easily be rewritten in plantuml and plantuml supports ascii diagrams also but ymmv:

https://www.planttext.com/api/plantuml/svg/RL0x2iCm3DrrYbn0q6vj0YK7wUBOAX6nPMChbFJqTPmiXMxl8_6UD1OrMTVW0PJLKvSsdQFWjB9tMBQY5Bgd0BGvW7wLPEmoG4zIrame4ODoe8AfiklzTccUcJpXj2dPw0WTAUN0mYNyRDeMnXzo-69FfPejk4DyLCnIKxq_cN4EJmKrub4q6Pt_U8VwpYQTotOckvou667Ti4cLvjes42QTMubzG3EdORyv9e2HnDK7VG40

@startuml
title python-build-system \n
start
:unpack;
:ensure-no-mtimes-pre-1980;
:enable-bytecode-determinism;
:ensure-no-cythonized-files;
:build -->;
:install -->;
:add-install-to-pythonpath;
:add-install-to-path;
:wrap -->;
:check -->;
:sanity-check;
:rename-pth-file;
:strip;
stop
@enduml

Where you thinking of capturing different information about the phases?