unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* foreign-distro?
@ 2022-11-20 20:54 jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-11-20 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Does Guix have a declarative Guix API way of knowing if it is installing
a package into foreign distro versus Guix System?

I'm thinking of a function like `foreign-distro?`:

```
(define-public peek
  (package
   (name "peek")
(inputs
  `(,@(if (foreign-distro?) `(("ffmpeg" ,ffmpeg)) '())))
```

The above includes ffmpeg in the inputs only if installing peek on a
foreign distro. It could additionally patch the ffmpeg executable in
a peek package phases if foreign-distro? returns #t.

WDYT

* Re: foreign-distro?
@ 2022-11-20 22:08 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2022-11-20 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: Guix Devel

Le Sun, 20 Nov 2022 14:54:40 -0600,
jgart <jgart@dismail.de> a écrit :

> Does Guix have a declarative Guix API way of knowing if it is
> installing a package into foreign distro versus Guix System?
>
> I'm thinking of a function like `foreign-distro?`:
>
> ```
> (define-public peek
>   (package
>    (name "peek")
> (inputs
>   `(,@(if (foreign-distro?) `(("ffmpeg" ,ffmpeg)) '())))
> ```
>
> The above includes ffmpeg in the inputs only if installing peek on a
> foreign distro. It could additionally patch the ffmpeg executable in
> a peek package phases if foreign-distro? returns #t.
>
> WDYT

Guix doesn't have a notion of foreign distro, it's all in your head,
and there's no difference between Guix System and other distros in the
Guix package manager's point of view :)

To be more specific, Guix only knows what you current system is (that's
captured by %current-system). It's probably x86_64-linux right know. As
you can see, there's no place in there to tell it whether you're on a
foreign distro or not.

Lastly, I don't think I would want to differentiate the two cases,
especially since it would mean that somehow Guix packages depend on
something external. There's this idea that Guix packages should somehow
be self-sufficient.

* Re: foreign-distro?
@ 2022-11-21  1:57   ` Jake Shilling
From: Jake Shilling @ 2022-11-21  1:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller, jgart; +Cc: Guix Devel

I've experimented with the distinction in my config, because I wanted to
be able to add home-services conditionally (e.g. I wanted my GuixSD to
install a destop envrionment, but my work laptop to only setup emacs and
its dependencies).

My approache was to just parse the `/etc/os-release` file if it exists:
```
(define (os-release)
  (guard (_
          (else #f))
    (call-with-input-file "/etc/os-release"
      (lambda (port)
        (let loop ((line (read-line port))
                   (result '()))
          (if (eof-object? line)
              (reverse result)
              (begin
                (let* ((split (string-split line #\=))
                       (key (string->symbol (car split)))
                       (val (if (string-match "\".*\"" (cadr split))
                                (substring (cadr split) 1 (- (string-length (cadr split)) 1))
                                (string->symbol (cadr split))))
                       (d (cons key val)))
                  (loop (read-line port)
                        (cons d result))))))))))
```

Then I define a couple wrappers:

```
(define (linux-distro-id)
  (if (linux?)
      (assq-ref (os-release) 'ID)
      #f))

(define (guix-system?)
  (eq? (linux-distro-id) 'guix))
```

The config was never really fleshed out because I ended up just using my
GuixSD computer for work instead.

--
Best regards,
Jake Shilling

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: foreign-distro?
@ 2022-11-23 10:36 ` Zhu Zihao
From: Zhu Zihao @ 2022-11-23 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: guix-devel

If you want to left the choice to user. You can just don't patch it. Or
you can always patch it because user can still use package transformer
to specify a custom ffmpeg.

--
Retrieve my PGP public key:

  gpg --recv-keys B3EBC086AB0EBC0F45E0B4D433DB374BCEE4D9DC

Zihao

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: foreign-distro?
@ 2022-11-23 12:34   ` Wojtek Kosior via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.