Hi, So there were some comments on https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=32960308 about getting started with contributing to Guix. It turns out that the barrier of entry for editing existing packages is kinda high (I tried it myself--putting myself into the mindset of a beginner). For example: (1) Install the guix system (2) Log in as regular user (3) guix edit nano (4) It opens a file from /gnu/store that you cannot edit. Uhh. That's... not ideal. Maybe instead error out with a hint on what you need to do in order to provide a local checkout? Or do we want viewing to work? Ok, so let's say we are a little more knowledgeable: (1) Install the guix system (2) Log in as regular user (3a) if [ ! -d src ] then mkdir src cd src else cd src fi \ && if [ ! -d guix ] then git clone --depth=1 https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git guix else (cd guix && git pull --rebase) fi \ && cd guix \ && guix shell -C -D guix -- ./bootstrap \ && guix shell -C -D guix -- ./configure --localstatedir=/var --disable-daemon \ && guix shell -C -D guix -- make -j5 \ <--- takes forever to build && ./pre-inst-env guix edit nano \ && git add gnu/packages/*.scm Ok, that worked. But there are a lot of ways that can be done wrong. Weird way it can be done wrong: (1) install the guix system (2) log in as regular user (3b) git clone --depth=1 https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git guix \ && cd guix \ && guix shell -C -D guix -- ./bootstrap \ && guix shell -C -D guix -- ./configure --localstatedir=/var --disable-daemon \ && ./pre-inst-env guix edit nano It will open the file in /gnu/store . WTF? I'm pretty sure that that's a bug. ./pre-inst-env does exist--but it does some weird things if you don't compile beforehand. Also, can we put a variant of (3a) into a command "guix prepare-edit" or something? It has always bothered me how manual and magical-commandy it is otherwise (what you actually need to do also changed over the years--not good).