unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Guix "R" Us - GNU's joy store!
@ 2021-12-28  5:42 jgart
From: jgart @ 2021-12-28  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Hi Guixers,

Santa's calendar app seg-faulted, so they couldn't deliver the toys on the
correct date. As a bonus, instead of delivering toys they decided to offer
a toy store where you can build your own toys.

Welcome to GuixRUs[1], a Guix Channel, maintained by the whereiseveryone[2] community.

The goal of the GuixRUs channel is to provide packages and services that are:

* Yet to be merged upstream.
* In alpha or beta stage of development.
* Customized to certain use-cases.
* Nightly releases.

Let's hack! GNU's joy store. It's worth the journey!

regards,
jgart and RG

[1]: https://sr.ht/~whereiseveryone/guixrus
[2]: https://web.libera.chat/gamja/#whereiseveryone

* Re: Guix "R" Us - GNU's joy store!
@ 2021-12-28 12:14 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2021-12-28 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: guix-devel

jgart <jgart@dismail.de> writes:

> * Yet to be merged upstream.

Are these going to be submitted and merged upstream eventually?  I think
it would be regrettable to establish a channel where ready-to-merge
packages accumulate that never make it into Guix proper because people
don’t want to make the little bit of extra effort to move them.

What’s the intended process to avoid this?

Is only free software acceptable in this channel?

--
Ricardo

* Re: Guix "R" Us - GNU's joy store!
@ 2021-12-28 13:40   ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2021-12-28 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 13:14:45 +0100 Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:

> jgart <jgart@dismail.de> writes:
>
> > * Yet to be merged upstream.
>
> Are these going to be submitted and merged upstream eventually?

Hi Ricardo,

From our README:

```
The goal of this guix channel is to provide packages and services that are:

* Yet to be merged upstream.
* In alpha or beta stage of development.
* Customized to certain use-cases.
* Nightly releases.
```

To expound on the above a bit:

> Yet to be merged upstream.

You can think of GuixRUs as a pre-release channel for software that is waiting to be reviewed upstream.

Sometimes patches can sit for a while while waiting for upstream review
and GuixRUs hopes to alleviate some of this anxiety by providing those
patches as "pre-releases" in a community channel that makes them available
through an expedited review process. We're interested in developing tooling
to help facilitate this ambitious endeavour.

> In alpha or beta stage of development.

We'll make grumble available through GuixRUs and provide a service:

https://issues.guix.gnu.org/

Another software that is in heavy development but useable:

https://wahay.org/

> Nightly releases.

GuixRUs will start by tracking olive-editor nightlies:

https://www.olivevideoeditor.org/nightly.php

> What's the intended process to avoid this?

Packages that are suitable for upstream will be sent in batches.

whereiseveryone community are active contributors and we'll make sure to send over any developments suitable for upstream.

We welcome anyone to help contribute in those efforts.

Feel free to upstream anything in GuixRUs that you see suitable if we don't get around to it.

If you remember to list the original author/packager when upstreaming from GuixRUs it would be much appreciated.

The first batch to be sent from GuixRUs for upstream will be these emacs packages we recently packaged:

https://git.sr.ht/~whereiseveryone/guixrus/tree/master/item/guixrus/packages/emacs.scm

> Customized to certain use-cases.

I recently forked vis to provide language server protocol support "out of the box".[1]

We're also packaging all the suckless patches for dwm, st, dmenu,
surf, etc... and making them available as guile variables/code in order
to easily assemble your own suckless forks with guix[2][3]. In other words,
GuixRUs can also be thought of as a library for assembling your own suckless fork.

> Is only free software acceptable in this channel?

Yes, we only accept free software. GuixRUs is a free software bazaar.

GuixRUs is at the service of assisting upstream and the Guix community at large.

all best,

jgart

[1] https://github.com/fischerling/vis-lspc#easy-vis-lspc-installation-with-guixrus
[2] https://git.sr.ht/~whereiseveryone/guixrus/tree/master/item/guixrus/patches/suckless.scm#L28
[3] https://git.sr.ht/~whereiseveryone/guixrus/tree/master/item/guixrus/packages/suckless.scm#L44

* Re: Guix "R" Us - GNU's joy store!
@ 2021-12-28 23:27     ` raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2021-12-28 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 08:40:20 -0500
jgart <jgart@dismail.de> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Dec 2021 13:14:45 +0100 Ricardo Wurmus
> <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:
> >
> > jgart <jgart@dismail.de> writes:
> >
> > > * Yet to be merged upstream.
> >
> > Are these going to be submitted and merged upstream eventually?
>
> Hi Ricardo,
>
> From our README:
>
> ```
> The goal of this guix channel is to provide packages and services
> that are:
>
> * Yet to be merged upstream.
> * In alpha or beta stage of development.
> * Customized to certain use-cases.
> * Nightly releases.
> ```
>
> To expound on the above a bit:
>
> > Yet to be merged upstream.
>
> You can think of GuixRUs as a pre-release channel for software that
> is waiting to be reviewed upstream.
>
> Sometimes patches can sit for a while while waiting for upstream
> review and GuixRUs hopes to alleviate some of this anxiety by
> providing those patches as "pre-releases" in a community channel that
> makes them available through an expedited review process. We're
> interested in developing tooling to help facilitate this ambitious
> endeavour.

I think guix time-machine and some options to guix pull already let you
build with some patches or from a custom git URL. If not, maybe making
that easier would be preferable to making a separate channel.

> > In alpha or beta stage of development.
>
> We'll make grumble available through GuixRUs and provide a service:
>
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/
>
> Another software that is in heavy development but useable:
>
> https://wahay.org/
>
> > Nightly releases.
>
> GuixRUs will start by tracking olive-editor nightlies:
>
> https://www.olivevideoeditor.org/nightly.php

What's the improvement with this channel compared to just using the
various package transformations, like --with-latest or --with-branch or
whatever?

> > What's the intended process to avoid this?
>
> Packages that are suitable for upstream will be sent in batches.
>
> whereiseveryone community are active contributors and we'll make sure
> to send over any developments suitable for upstream.
>
> We welcome anyone to help contribute in those efforts.
>
> Feel free to upstream anything in GuixRUs that you see suitable if we
> don't get around to it.
>
> If you remember to list the original author/packager when upstreaming
> from GuixRUs it would be much appreciated.
>
> The first batch to be sent from GuixRUs for upstream will be these
> emacs packages we recently packaged:
>
> https://git.sr.ht/~whereiseveryone/guixrus/tree/master/item/guixrus/packages/emacs.scm
>
> > Customized to certain use-cases.
>
> I recently forked vis to provide language server protocol support
> "out of the box".[1]
>
> We're also packaging all the suckless patches for dwm, st, dmenu,
> surf, etc... and making them available as guile variables/code in
> order to easily assemble your own suckless forks with guix[2][3]. In
> other words, GuixRUs can also be thought of as a library for
> assembling your own suckless fork.

Again, package transformations already let you do this. Might make more
sense to just set up a substitute server.

> > Is only free software acceptable in this channel?
>
> Yes, we only accept free software. GuixRUs is a free software bazaar.
>
> GuixRUs is at the service of assisting upstream and the Guix
> community at large.
>
> all best,
>
> jgart
>

> [1]
> https://github.com/fischerling/vis-lspc#easy-vis-lspc-installation-with-guixrus
> [2]
> https://git.sr.ht/~whereiseveryone/guixrus/tree/master/item/guixrus/patches/suckless.scm#L28
> [3]
> https://git.sr.ht/~whereiseveryone/guixrus/tree/master/item/guixrus/packages/suckless.scm#L44

TLDR how much of the effort spent on this channel is really justified
compared to making the underserved use-cases easier in upstream Guix?

* Re: Guix "R" Us - GNU's joy store!
@ 2021-12-29  0:22       ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2021-12-29  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: raingloom; +Cc: Ricardo Wurmus, guix-devel

On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 00:27:04 +0100 raingloom <raingloom@riseup.net> wrote:
> TLDR how much of the effort spent on this channel is really justified
> compared to making the underserved use-cases easier in upstream Guix?

If there's any particular packages that should be sent upstream feel
free to take them from GuixRUs and send a patch to upstream. Just add
the original packager as co-author out of courtesy. Also, let us know by
linking the ticket number so that we can remove them from the channel. We
also read the commit history daily to stay up to date as we are also
regular contributors to upstream.

If there are any packages that build solely with package transformation
options from the cli and they are currently in GuixRUs also let us know and
we'll remove them after testing.

See the other points in my previous email for more reasons to
have GuixRUs (pre-releases, nightlies (olive), alpha software
(https://issues.guix.gnu.org/47104), vis-lsp, etc...).  I think people
should explore having channels for the sake of just exploring having a
channel. It allows those without commit access to have the freedom to
explore and navigate Guix how they want and at the pace that they'd
like to develop at without fully depending on upstream. Channels can
assist upstream when proper communication is involved. I also think
channels can function as a testing ground before sending a patch for
review to upstream.

The following is just two example channels that have served as a testbed
before sending to upstream:

https://git.genenetwork.org/guix-bioinformatics/guix-bioinformatics
https://github.com/ryanprior/guix-packages

GuixRUs is not a new idea. GuixRUs is like any other guix channel out
in the wild. We just want to have our own small channel as a small
community. We encourage others to start their own channels and we're
working on making starting a channel easier for newcomers in the near
future. Stay tuned!

I hope that further clarified/contextualized some points on GuixRUs I made
in previous emails. If not, feel free to reply with further questions. Thank
you for your interest.

all best,

jgart

* Re: Guix "R" Us - GNU's joy store!
@ 2022-01-06 15:44         ` Katherine Cox-Buday
From: Katherine Cox-Buday @ 2022-01-06 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: guix-devel

jgart <jgart@dismail.de> writes:

> On Wed, 29 Dec 2021 00:27:04 +0100 raingloom <raingloom@riseup.net> wrote:
>> TLDR how much of the effort spent on this channel is really justified
>> compared to making the underserved use-cases easier in upstream Guix?

I also have my own personal "upstream staging" channel so that I can continue contributing to Guix at my own pace, in my own way, until I can get enough velocity to really internalize contributing in the way Guix would like me to. I also tend to hack on things there, and then batch my changes for upstream so that I can keep everything consistent and make sure all my code meets upstream standards. In the meantime, I'm able to actually use the code.

My only concern with organizing this activity into a group is that it is a kind of "community fork". I hope we can take the reasons people make these channels and bring them back to Guix proper to make contributing here just as easy.

At any rate, any energy put into the ecosystem is good in my book. Cheers! :)

--
Katherine

* Re: Guix "R" Us - GNU's joy store!
@ 2022-01-06 17:45           ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2022-01-06 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katherine Cox-Buday; +Cc: raingloom, Ricardo Wurmus, guix-devel

On Thu, 06 Jan 2022 09:44:27 -0600 Katherine Cox-Buday <cox.katherine.e@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Katherine,

> I hope we can take the reasons people make these channels and bring
> them back to Guix proper to make contributing here just as easy.

Contributing to Guix upstream is definitely high priority for the guixrus
channel and the whereiseverone community.

For example, as a small community we are planning to organize a monthly
channel cleanup day in which we look at all the packages in guixrus and
determine which packages should be sent upstream and which packages still
need more work. This style of iteration can serve as an additional and
more intimate layer of onboarding for newer users because we review
patches on https://lists.sr.ht/~whereiseveryone/guixrus as well as
discuss package issues on #whereiseveryone (libera.chat) in a short
feedback loop. In the process of doing the above we also explain the
upstream contribution process to newcomers. My hope is that higher-quality
packages by first-time Guixers will become more commonplace in upstream
issue trackers.

We are also experimenting with using builds.sr.ht to run the guix lint
checker, and more when submitting patches to guixrus/upstream thanks
to dhruvin:

https://builds.sr.ht/~dhruvin/job/665098
https://builds.sr.ht/~dhruvin/job/665205

We are developing a package search[1] in the context of the guixrus
channel web site:

https://paste.sr.ht/~dhruvin/0828f7b1df2ffa7b7b31c50e07ef043d94caeea0

guixrus had 83 packages that day. If interested in the library that was
used to generate the json paste output see this repo:

https://git.sr.ht/~dhruvin/doug

A top priority goal of the whereiseveryone community is to encourage
new Guixers to contribute to Guix (upstream as well as whereiseveryone
community projects). We want to facilitate, develop, and discuss that
process, as well as experiment with fun ideas and tools for Guix. It's
ambitious, I know. We'll take it one S-expression at a time.

happy hacking,

https://sr.ht/~whereiseveryone/