unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* website: A little help running the website locally
@ 2021-05-21 13:53 Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2021-05-21 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

I've never been able to build and run the internationalized website correctly following the instructions on the README. I even thought there was a typo in the instructions (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/47623), but it seems there is actually a particular problem on my side that I don't know how to resolve. So I could use a little help.

The problem seems to be that the instructions on the README expect a "$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale" directory to exist, but it doesn't exist here. There is a "$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locales" directory instead (note the plural name).

I've tried building and running the website using the "locales" directory to work around the issue. It used to build most of the time, but with enconding issues. Running the website almost always failed with some error about invalid arguments to "setlocale"), so I used plane "haunt serve".

Currently, though, using guix 1f68568 and guix website f7ca68f, building fails for me everytime I run this:

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
$ GUIX_WEB_SITE_LOCAL=yes guix environment -C -m manifest.scm -E GUIX_LOCPATH -E LANG --share=$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locales -E GUIX_WEB_SITE_LOCAL --share=/tmp -- haunt build
guile: warning: failed to install locale
Backtrace:
           2 (primitive-load "/gnu/store/yzaxlqmiraznba4yf2cyqpyla9q?")
In haunt/ui.scm:
    131:2  1 (haunt-main _ "build")
In unknown file:
           0 (setlocale 6 "")

ERROR: In procedure setlocale:
In procedure setlocale: Invalid argument
★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

So I haven't been able to work much on the website for a long time. I don't know what's going on...

---
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
https://luis-felipe.gitlab.io/

* Re: website: A little help running the website locally
@ 2021-05-21 16:04 ` Tissevert
From: Tissevert @ 2021-05-21 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi !

I'm afraid I saw your message too late because I have exactly the same problems
you describe in https://issues.guix.gnu.org/47623 which you've just closed.

I too have no ~/.guix-profile/lib/locale but ~/.guix-profile/lib/locales exists
and allows the build to complete.  So I don't know but could this
~/.guix-profile/lib/locale with no trailing 's' be a left-over from a previous
version of some software that used to build it at that location or something ?
My install of guix is pretty recent (~3 months).

From what I understood from the original issue, I checked $GUIX_LOCPATH and saw
it contained only my current system's, /run/current-system/locale, which, when
shared in place of this hypothetical `locales?` in $HOME/.guix-profile also
allows haunt to build the site correctly (it produces something, reports
success, and browsing what it serves looks like the official website).

Hope that helps : )

Tissevert

@ 2021-05-21 16:38   ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2021-05-21 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Tissevert, Luis Felipe; +Cc: guix-devel

Apart from breaking my system somewhat, I tried again, and I think you shouldn't pass -E GUIX_LOCPATH, because this will refer to something outside the environment. Instead, you should let the manifest set that for you. It will read po/LINGUAS to figure out which locales to bring in the environment.

@ 2021-05-21 16:48     ` Tissevert
From: Tissevert @ 2021-05-21 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: guix-devel

Hey, it works here without -E GUIX_LOCPATH and without sharing any
'lib/locales?' file, system- or user-wide. Does that work for you too,
Luis-Felipe ?

If it does, should we entirely remove any mention of them in the build / serve
instructions in the README ?

@ 2021-05-21 17:36   ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2021-05-21 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tissevert; +Cc: guix-devel

Hey :)

On Friday, May 21, 2021 4:04 PM, Tissevert <tissevert+guix@marvid.fr> wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I'm afraid I saw your message too late because I have exactly the same problems
> you describe in https://issues.guix.gnu.org/47623 which you've just closed.

It can be reopened if necessary, though.

> I too have no ~/.guix-profile/lib/locale but ~/.guix-profile/lib/locales exists
> and allows the build to complete. So I don't know but could this
> ~/.guix-profile/lib/locale with no trailing 's' be a left-over from a previous
> version of some software that used to build it at that location or something ?

I don't feel alone anymore :)

> My install of guix is pretty recent (~3 months).

My Guix System is more than a year old.

> From what I understood from the original issue, I checked $GUIX_LOCPATH and saw
> it contained only my current system's, /run/current-system/locale, which, when
> shared in place of this hypothetical `locales?` in $HOME/.guix-profile also
> allows haunt to build the site correctly (it produces something, reports
> success, and browsing what it serves looks like the official website).
>
> Hope that helps : )

I'm going to Guix pull, try without GUIX_LOCPATH as Julien suggests and without sharing the locales directory as you suggest, and then report back.

* Re: website: A little help running the website locally
@ 2021-05-21 18:12       ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2021-05-21 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tissevert; +Cc: Julien Lepiller, guix-devel@gnu.org

On Friday, May 21, 2021 4:48 PM, Tissevert <tissevert+guix@marvid.fr> wrote:

> Hey, it works here without -E GUIX_LOCPATH and without sharing any
> 'lib/locales?' file, system- or user-wide. Does that work for you too,
> Luis-Felipe ?

I'm using guix bd382fa now, and it fails in the same way. This is without preserving GUIX_LOCPATH:

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
$ GUIX_WEB_SITE_LOCAL=yes guix environment -C -m manifest.scm -E LANG --share=$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locales -E GUIX_WEB_SITE_LOCAL --share=/tmp -- haunt build
guile: warning: failed to install locale
Backtrace:
           2 (primitive-load "/gnu/store/vvys7f31iwaig3rabq190dlsg0x?")
In haunt/ui.scm:
    131:2  1 (haunt-main _ "build")
In unknown file:
           0 (setlocale 6 "")

ERROR: In procedure setlocale:
In procedure setlocale: Invalid argument
★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

And this is without preserving GUIX_LOCPATH and without sharing the locales directory:

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
$ GUIX_WEB_SITE_LOCAL=yes guix environment -C -m manifest.scm -E LANG -E GUIX_WEB_SITE_LOCAL --share=/tmp -- haunt build
guile: warning: failed to install locale
Backtrace:
           2 (primitive-load "/gnu/store/vvys7f31iwaig3rabq190dlsg0x?")
In haunt/ui.scm:
    131:2  1 (haunt-main _ "build")
In unknown file:
           0 (setlocale 6 "")

ERROR: In procedure setlocale:
In procedure setlocale: Invalid argument
★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

Tissevert, Julien, are you both using Guix System or Guix on foreign distribution? (I use the former).

* Re: website: A little help running the website locally
@ 2021-05-21 18:17         ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2021-05-21 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe, Tissevert; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

It worked on both for me. Do you maybe have some local modifications that might explain why you can't build the website?

@ 2021-05-21 18:33           ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2021-05-21 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: Tissevert, guix-devel@gnu.org

On Friday, May 21, 2021 6:17 PM, Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:

> It worked on both for me. Do you maybe have some local modifications that might explain why you can't build the website?

Not that I know of. I use guix from upstream, and I haven't changed my .bashrc and .profile in a very long time. And they don't contain anything related to locales, nor to Guile. I don't know what else to check...

Maybe I have to become French for the website to work :)

* Re: website: A little help running the website locally
@ 2021-05-21 18:43             ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2021-05-21 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: Julien Lepiller, Tissevert, guix-devel@gnu.org

On Friday, May 21, 2021 6:33 PM, Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, May 21, 2021 6:17 PM, Julien Lepiller julien@lepiller.eu wrote:
>
> > It worked on both for me. Do you maybe have some local modifications that might explain why you can't build the website?
>
> Not that I know of. I use guix from upstream, and I haven't changed my .bashrc and .profile in a very long time. And they don't contain anything related to locales, nor to Guile. I don't know what else to check...
>
> Maybe I have to become French for the website to work :)

Oh, actually, it seems it is something along those lines. I just ran this:

★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
LANG=C GUIX_WEB_SITE_LOCAL=yes guix environment -C -m manifest.scm -E LANG -E GUIX_WEB_SITE_LOCAL --share=/tmp -- haunt build
★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★

And the website builds. But if LANG is es_CO.utf8 (my user locale), then it fails again.

* Re: website: A little help running the website locally
@ 2021-05-21 18:52             ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2021-05-21 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

Mh, you might be right, maybe something in my environment that helps support French is passing through to the container and makes things work for me and not for you. Could it be your $LANG is not one in po/LINGUAS? What if you set it to en_US.UTF-8?

Instead of going back and forth by email, would you be willing to spend some time on BBB where you could share your screen, so we can explore together? If you're available we can do that in about 2 hours. Let me know and I'll send you a link.

@ 2021-05-21 18:55               ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2021-05-21 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: Julien Lepiller, Tissevert, guix-devel@gnu.org

On Friday, May 21, 2021 6:43 PM, Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, May 21, 2021 6:33 PM, Luis Felipe luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com wrote:
>
> > On Friday, May 21, 2021 6:17 PM, Julien Lepiller julien@lepiller.eu wrote:
> >
> > > It worked on both for me. Do you maybe have some local modifications that might explain why you can't build the website?
> >
> > Not that I know of. I use guix from upstream, and I haven't changed my .bashrc and .profile in a very long time. And they don't contain anything related to locales, nor to Guile. I don't know what else to check...
> > Maybe I have to become French for the website to work :)
>
> Oh, actually, it seems it is something along those lines. I just ran this:
>
> ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
> LANG=C GUIX_WEB_SITE_LOCAL=yes guix environment -C -m manifest.scm -E LANG -E GUIX_WEB_SITE_LOCAL --share=/tmp -- haunt build
> ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★★
>
> And the website builds. But if LANG is es_CO.utf8 (my user locale), then it fails again.

So, I tried again setting LANG=C and I noticed that while the website builds, the output has character enconding issues. For example what should be a right arrow in

copy 'static/media/css/video-preview.css' ? 'static/media/css/video-preview.css'

is replaced by a question mark.

However, if I set LANG=fr_FR.utf8, everything works correctly :)

* Re: website: A little help running the website locally
@ 2021-05-21 19:02               ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2021-05-21 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: Tissevert, guix-devel@gnu.org

On Friday, May 21, 2021 6:52 PM, Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:

> Mh, you might be right, maybe something in my environment that helps support French is passing through to the container and makes things work for me and not for you. Could it be your $LANG is not one in po/LINGUAS? What if you set it to en_US.UTF-8?

My language is es_CO, it is not in LINGUAS. Setting LANG to locales listed in LINGUAS makes it build correctly.

> Instead of going back and forth by email, would you be willing to spend some time on BBB where you could share your screen, so we can explore together? If you're available we can do that in about 2 hours. Let me know and I'll send you a link.

Yes, I can, if it is still necessary.

* Re: website: A little help running the website locally
@ 2021-05-21 19:24                 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2021-05-21 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

Ah no, I think we found the issue! So we should update the readme to not require passing GUIX_LOCPATH and set LANG to en_US.UTF-8 (or any other language listed in po/LINGUAS).

@ 2021-05-21 19:28                   ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2021-05-21 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: Tissevert, guix-devel@gnu.org

On Friday, May 21, 2021 7:24 PM, Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:

> Ah no, I think we found the issue! So we should update the readme to not require passing GUIX_LOCPATH and set LANG to en_US.UTF-8 (or any other language listed in po/LINGUAS).

Will you update the README, or should I sent a patch?

* Re: website: A little help running the website locally
@ 2021-05-22 15:46                     ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2021-05-22 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

Le Fri, 21 May 2021 19:28:38 +0000,
Luis Felipe <luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com> a écrit :

> On Friday, May 21, 2021 7:24 PM, Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu>
> wrote:
>
> > Ah no, I think we found the issue! So we should update the readme
> > to not require passing GUIX_LOCPATH and set LANG to en_US.UTF-8 (or
> > any other language listed in po/LINGUAS).
>
> Will you update the README, or should I sent a patch?

I updated the README, so it should now give you correct directions.
Thanks for reporting the issue and for your time while we tried
debugging this :)

* Re: website: A little help running the website locally
@ 2021-05-22 18:04                       ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2021-05-22 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: Tissevert, guix-devel@gnu.org

On Saturday, May 22, 2021 3:46 PM, Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> wrote:

> Le Fri, 21 May 2021 19:28:38 +0000,
> Luis Felipe luis.felipe.la@protonmail.com a écrit :
>
> > On Friday, May 21, 2021 7:24 PM, Julien Lepiller julien@lepiller.eu
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Ah no, I think we found the issue! So we should update the readme
> > > to not require passing GUIX_LOCPATH and set LANG to en_US.UTF-8 (or
> > > any other language listed in po/LINGUAS).
> >
> > Will you update the README, or should I sent a patch?
>
> I updated the README, so it should now give you correct directions.
> Thanks for reporting the issue and for your time while we tried
> debugging this :)

こちらこそ、どうもありがとう、みんな!

* Re: website: A little help running the website locally
@ 2021-05-26 13:46                       ` gauthier
From: gauthier @ 2021-05-26 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luis Felipe, Julien Lepiller; +Cc: Tissevert, guix-devel

Just a heads up that due to this thread, I've been able to run the website locally too, that was one of my first realworld usage of guix, I'm slow on this journey, but I've started it :)

Regarding the website itself, I wanted to adjust the package page, so that it has a direct link to the package description from the github repository and I've not managed my guile foo (which is 0.00000001) enough to figure how to adjust the code already present in case of lint error.

Maybe a current maintainer can wipe such change faster than waiting for me to advance my journey, I think it would benefit the website users to have direct link to the .scm from the package description page, or even having it pretty printed right on the page ideally.

@ 2021-05-27 19:38                         ` Luis Felipe
From: Luis Felipe @ 2021-05-27 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gauthier@disroot.org; +Cc: Julien Lepiller, Tissevert, guix-devel@gnu.org

On Wednesday, May 26, 2021 1:46 PM, <gauthier@disroot.org> wrote:

> Just a heads up that due to this thread, I've been able to run the website locally too, that was one of my first realworld usage of guix, I'm slow on this journey, but I've started it :)

Great :)

> Regarding the website itself, I wanted to adjust the package page, so that it has a direct link to the package description from the github repository and I've not managed my guile foo (which is 0.00000001) enough to figure how to adjust the code already present in case of lint error.
>
> Maybe a current maintainer can wipe such change faster than waiting for me to advance my journey, I think it would benefit the website users to have direct link to the .scm from the package description page, or even having it pretty printed right on the page ideally.

I'm not sure I understand. I see that in the details page of a package there is a "Package source" field which links to the file and line where the package definition starts. See for example:

https://guix.gnu.org/en/packages/audacity-2.4.2/

Which links to audio.scm (https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/audio.scm#n683). Or is it that for some packages the link is not working?

In any case, I think it would be good to report any issue to the issue tracker (https://issues.guix.gnu.org/), if it isn't already reported.