unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl>
To: zimoun <zimon.toutoune@gmail.com>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: please, let avoid misunderstandings
Date: Sun, 2 May 2021 19:56:52 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your heroic explanation. I think it also tells us something
about the grief some of the maintainers went through. This is a good
point to close the threads. All points have been made and it is
necessary not to burden the people too much who do the real work. As
in talk is cheap... We all treasure everyone who contributes to GNU
Guix and it does amaze me how many here are really mature individuals.

Even so, we would benefit from an in-person Guix day again :).

Ryan here is the only one who has made a concrete suggestion with a
double sign-off of patches for contributors. That sounds like a bit of
overhead we may not need (yet). But it may be that Guix is growing
fast and we need to add a layer of maintainers - Linux kernel style.
Or we split off the packages from core development - Nix style. Or we
lean more heavily on channels (I would favour that). Or we wait until
the next flare up. You know, shit happens - we can live with that.

The one thing I would like to avoid is that we become more hesitant of
offering commit access. The project is most agile when flat. I think
we should be easy, but be clear what is given easily can be taken away
(easily).  And may take it away quicker, also for people who do not
contribute for a long time. If it is dynamic it will be less hurtful.

Pj.