unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Luciana Lima Brito <lubrito@posteo.net>
To: Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Outreachy: Timeline tasks
Date: Sat,  1 May 2021 13:48:11 +0000	[thread overview]

Hi,

On Sat, 01 May 2021 09:16:08 +0100
Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> wrote:

> Currently the timing of various sections of the process includes
> timing smaller sections, and that may complicate reading the chart,
> since it won't convey which timed sections include other timed
> sections. Does that make sense?

Yes, I understand. But just to make sure, you say that the actions we
see in the logs are actually subsections of a bigger process? The
problem here would be to clearly mark in the code actions of a same
process. I'll take this into account on my planning.

For that I propose to build 2 charts, one of the
macro view, what we call "overview first", showing the
sections(processes) and their whole time taken. This way we could just
see what we were aiming for, which is to identify slowness.
The second chart would be what we call "details on demand", in which we
could have the subsections(actions) being shown. To differ to which
section(process) they are bound, we could use two meaningless
alternating colours (just to group the subsections of a section), and
they would follow the same order as the first chart.

The use of alternating colours could be applied to both charts in order
to make clear the equivalence. Both charts should appear at the same
time, one above the other, to ease comparison.

> Great, this is a good amount of detail.

I'll add this to the plan and to the final application, ok?

--
Best Regards,

Luciana Lima Brito
MSc. in Computer Science