unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Following Guix weather.
@ 2021-04-09 13:53 Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2021-04-09 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

I have deployed a bunch of changes at https://ci.guix.gnu.org/. I'd like
to introduce some of them here.

First, there are some new specifications: "images", "tarball" and
"tests".  Those specifications are configured to build respectively, the
%guix-system-images declared in (gnu ci), the Guix binary tarball and
the Guix System tests.

Each Guix commit potentially triggers a rebuilt of all those
specifications. We have previously established that this is too resource
consuming.

That's why I have added a "period" field to the specification
definition.  This field only allows a new evaluation when at least X
seconds have elapsed since the last evaluation.  Right now, the three
aforementioned specifications have a period field set to 86400 seconds
(24 hours).

I have also improved the visibility of latest state of a
specification. For instance, if you want to know what's the current
status of the "master" branch or the "staging" branch, you will find
some statistics directly on the home page. For a more detailed view, you
can consult dashboards for each specification.

master dashboard: https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/19534/dashboard
staging dashboard: https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/19488/dashboard
test dashboard: https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/19464/dashboard

By having a look at those dashboards, it's obvious that we still have a
lot of work before all those circles turn to green.

Finally, in the evaluation view there's a "Toggle" button to switch
between:

- The number of newly fixed/broken/pending builds for each evaluation
  (default)
- The total number of fixed/broken/pending builds for each evaluation.

Don't hesitate to comment on those new features :)

Thanks,

Mathieu

* Re: Following Guix weather.
@ 2021-04-09 17:09 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2021-04-09 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe, guix-devel

Wow, great work!

I've always felt lost with Cuirass web interface, now I find it much
more convenient to extract information from the CI!

Congrats!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Following Guix weather.
@ 2021-04-09 19:28   ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2021-04-09 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel, Mathieu Othacehe

Hello,

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 7:12 PM Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> wrote:
> Wow, great work!

Indeed, I especially like the new specifications for tarballs, images, etc.
But (as always) I have a few nits to pick...

The column sorting icon is overlapped with the columns title

The jobs column:
* is there really a need for decimals for the %age, an integer would
  be good enough ? (no more ".00%" nor "100.00%")
* could you give a bit more width so that it always fits in two lines ?

See the attached capture

Thanks, this is nice work / progress !

--
Vincent Legoll

[-- Attachment #2: Screenshot_2021-04-09_20-31-51.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 82804 bytes --]

* Re: Following Guix weather.
@ 2021-04-09 19:38     ` Mathieu Othacehe
From: Mathieu Othacehe @ 2021-04-09 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Legoll; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello Vincent,

Thanks for your feedback!

> The column sorting icon is overlapped with the columns title

Oh, didn't notice it on my large screen!

> The jobs column:
> * is there really a need for decimals for the %age, an integer would
>   be good enough ? (no more ".00%" nor "100.00%")

Yeah, I hesitated a bit about that. As the master specification has 45k+
items, those extra digits give the impression that something is going
on. But I'll think more about that.

> * could you give a bit more width so that it always fits in two lines ?

I think you are still using a cached CSS. You can reload the page using
"Ctrl - F5" to fix it. The Jobs column displays either the percentage or
the build count but not both.

Thanks,

Mathieu

* Re: Following Guix weather.
@ 2021-04-09 20:09       ` Vincent Legoll
From: Vincent Legoll @ 2021-04-09 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe; +Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, Apr 9, 2021 at 9:38 PM Mathieu Othacehe <othacehe@gnu.org> wrote:
> > The column sorting icon is overlapped with the columns title
>
> Oh, didn't notice it on my large screen!

I've got plenty of whitespace around the whole table (probably enough
to fit 2 whole tables). I cropped it from the screen capture. My screen
is 1440p. And a page forced-refresh did not change it, even in full screen.
But that is perhaps a browser glitch.

> > The jobs column:
> > * is there really a need for decimals for the %age, an integer would
> >   be good enough ? (no more ".00%" nor "100.00%")
>
> Yeah, I hesitated a bit about that. As the master specification has 45k+
> items, those extra digits give the impression that something is going
> on. But I'll think more about that.

a " 93% (42042/45073)" would be perfect, but maybe too much...
you've got the big picture (%age) and actual precise numbers that can
change upon reload to show progress.

> > * could you give a bit more width so that it always fits in two lines ?
>
> I think you are still using a cached CSS. You can reload the page using
> "Ctrl - F5" to fix it. The Jobs column displays either the percentage or
> the build count but not both.

You're right, a forced reload (CTRL-SHIFT-R here) did the trick.

Thanks

--
Vincent Legoll

* Re: Following Guix weather.
@ 2021-04-13  0:04 ` raingloom
From: raingloom @ 2021-04-13  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Othacehe; +Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, 09 Apr 2021 15:53:49 +0200
Mathieu Othacehe <othacehe@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have deployed a bunch of changes at https://ci.guix.gnu.org/. I'd
> like to introduce some of them here.
>
> First, there are some new specifications: "images", "tarball" and
> "tests".  Those specifications are configured to build respectively,
> the %guix-system-images declared in (gnu ci), the Guix binary tarball
> and the Guix System tests.
>
> Each Guix commit potentially triggers a rebuilt of all those
> specifications. We have previously established that this is too
> resource consuming.
>
> That's why I have added a "period" field to the specification
> definition.  This field only allows a new evaluation when at least X
> seconds have elapsed since the last evaluation.  Right now, the three
> aforementioned specifications have a period field set to 86400 seconds
> (24 hours).
>
> I have also improved the visibility of latest state of a
> specification. For instance, if you want to know what's the current
> status of the "master" branch or the "staging" branch, you will find
> some statistics directly on the home page. For a more detailed view,
> you can consult dashboards for each specification.
>
> master dashboard: https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/19534/dashboard
> staging dashboard: https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/19488/dashboard
> test dashboard: https://ci.guix.gnu.org/eval/19464/dashboard
>
> By having a look at those dashboards, it's obvious that we still have
> a lot of work before all those circles turn to green.
>
> Finally, in the evaluation view there's a "Toggle" button to switch
> between:
>
> - The number of newly fixed/broken/pending builds for each evaluation
>   (default)
> - The total number of fixed/broken/pending builds for each evaluation.
>
> Don't hesitate to comment on those new features :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mathieu

Speaking of visibility, please don't use color as the sole carrier of
information. I don't know if you did any accessibility testing for that
page, but not requiring perfect color vision should be step 0. Luckily
it should be an easy fix, just use some shapes.