unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl>
To: "Léo Le Bouter" <lle-bout@zaclys.net>
Cc: Guix Devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>,
	Manolis Ragkousis <ragkousism@protonmail.com>
Subject: Re: FOSDEM + Guix Day: hurrah!
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2021 18:37:14 +0100	[thread overview]

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 12:14:34PM +0100, Léo Le Bouter wrote:
> On Thu, 2021-02-11 at 11:07 +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > Hello Guix!
> >
> > With all the excitement and activity these days, I almost forgot to
> > say
> > it: *big thanks* to Pjotr and Manolis for organizing the FOSDEM
> > “Declarative and Minimalistic Computing” devroom, with a great
> > program!
> > It was a delightful day for me, so thanks also to the speakers and to
> > those who hosted the sessions.

Agree. I think the Guix days are extremely useful. Maybe we should
have a Guix day every 6 months. Online during the pandemic and maybe
hybrid online/in person after?

To keep riding the wave I was thinking we could organise a GNU Hurd
day in 3 months. That an idea? I have been toying with GNU Hurd in a
VM and I think it is nice. GNU Hurd may not be the greatest performer,
but it is small and much easier to secure than Linux, so it could be
of interest for IoT and mobile. I know Chris Webber mentioned seL4
which may or may not be an alternative. These microkernels are an
interesting space for free software and the timing may be just right.

Pj.