unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Would a Guix QA page be helpful?
@ 2021-02-06 20:20 Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2021-02-06 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hey,

The Guix Data Service has been getting better at finding problems, but
getting that data requires knowing it exists, and where to find it, and
clicking all the relevant links.

I've been wondering if it would be good to have a QA page that just
summarises and links to this information, things like:

 - Broken packages
 - Broken system tests
 - Broken fixed output package derivations
 - Lint warnings
 - ...

While I'd really like to get to a place where less packages and system
tests are unintentionally broken, and less lint warnings are
unintentionally introduced, at the moment, there are plenty of these
problems. There's also things like the broken package sources, where
there will probably always be new breakages being introduced.

Given the Guix Data Service can look at what's changed within a time
period on a branch, recent breakages could also be displayed.

This could potentially sit at qa.guix.gnu.org.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Would a Guix QA page be helpful?
@ 2021-02-06 21:02 ` Léo Le Bouter
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Léo Le Bouter @ 2021-02-06 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines, guix-devel

On Sat, 2021-02-06 at 20:20 +0000, Christopher Baines wrote:
> Hey,
>
> The Guix Data Service has been getting better at finding problems,
> but
> getting that data requires knowing it exists, and where to find it,
> and
> clicking all the relevant links.
>
> I've been wondering if it would be good to have a QA page that just
> summarises and links to this information, things like:
>
>  - Broken packages
>  - Broken system tests
>  - Broken fixed output package derivations
>  - Lint warnings
>  - ...
>
> While I'd really like to get to a place where less packages and
> system
> tests are unintentionally broken, and less lint warnings are
> unintentionally introduced, at the moment, there are plenty of these
> problems. There's also things like the broken package sources, where
> there will probably always be new breakages being introduced.
>
> Given the Guix Data Service can look at what's changed within a time
> period on a branch, recent breakages could also be displayed.
>
> This could potentially sit at qa.guix.gnu.org.
>
> Any thoughts?

Yes please!

> Thanks,

Thank *you* for working on this!

> Chris

* Re: Would a Guix QA page be helpful?
@ 2021-02-06 21:52 ` Ludovic Courtès
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2021-02-06 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> skribis:

> The Guix Data Service has been getting better at finding problems, but
> getting that data requires knowing it exists, and where to find it, and
> clicking all the relevant links.
>
> I've been wondering if it would be good to have a QA page that just
> summarises and links to this information, things like:
>
>  - Broken packages
>  - Broken system tests
>  - Broken fixed output package derivations
>  - Lint warnings
>  - ...
>
> While I'd really like to get to a place where less packages and system
> tests are unintentionally broken, and less lint warnings are
> unintentionally introduced, at the moment, there are plenty of these
> problems. There's also things like the broken package sources, where
> there will probably always be new breakages being introduced.
>
> Given the Guix Data Service can look at what's changed within a time
> period on a branch, recent breakages could also be displayed.
>
> This could potentially sit at qa.guix.gnu.org.

I think that’s a great idea.

It’s always been hard to get an overview of all these aspects.  Now the
Data Service makes it much easier but the info is still a bit scattered.
So yes, having a kind of QA dashboard fed by Data Service info would be
great!

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Would a Guix QA page be helpful?
@ 2021-02-07 21:13 ` Bengt Richter
From: Bengt Richter @ 2021-02-07 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Christopher,

tl;dr: +1 :)

On +2021-02-06 20:20:04 +0000, Christopher Baines wrote:
> Hey,
>
> The Guix Data Service has been getting better at finding problems, but
> getting that data requires knowing it exists, and where to find it, and
> clicking all the relevant links.
>
> I've been wondering if it would be good to have a QA page that just
> summarises and links to this information, things like:
>
>  - Broken packages
>  - Broken system tests
>  - Broken fixed output package derivations
>  - Lint warnings
>  - ...
>
> While I'd really like to get to a place where less packages and system
> tests are unintentionally broken, and less lint warnings are
> unintentionally introduced, at the moment, there are plenty of these
> problems. There's also things like the broken package sources, where
> there will probably always be new breakages being introduced.
>
> Given the Guix Data Service can look at what's changed within a time
> period on a branch, recent breakages could also be displayed.
>
> This could potentially sit at qa.guix.gnu.org.
>
> Any thoughts?

Mainly, please represent the info so that a person can get it with wget
and extract items with grep or simple tool and inspect with any editor.

I.e., some form of structured text. Someone will make a shiny browser interface,
but don't please don't make that a dependency for access to the data.

And please use '+%F %T ' date format for time stamps, UTC, so one doesn't
have to wonder what year it was when looking at an old copy/paste or screen capture ;-)

That'd be enough to please me, anyway :)
Good tags for searching are helpful, of course.

--
Regards,
Bengt Richter

* Re: Would a Guix QA page be helpful?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-02-07 22:41 ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2021-02-07 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Chris,

On Sat, 06 Feb 2021 20:20:04 +0000
Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> The Guix Data Service has been getting better at finding problems, but
> getting that data requires knowing it exists, and where to find it,
> and clicking all the relevant links.

Absolutely yes! I already wanted to ask you for this.

You are working on the data service and from time to time you post very
good improvements on the mailing list. Yet when I go to
data.guix.gnu.org I only get to a fraction of what is already
established. This is a unlucky situation: We have it implemented, but
nobody knows about it.

Thanks,

Björn

* Re: Would a Guix QA page be helpful?
@ 2021-02-08  0:26   ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-02-08  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bengt Richter, Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Bengt,

On Sun, 07 Feb 2021 at 22:13, Bengt Richter <bokr@bokr.com> wrote:
> On +2021-02-06 20:20:04 +0000, Christopher Baines wrote:

>> The Guix Data Service has been getting better at finding problems, but
>> getting that data requires knowing it exists, and where to find it, and
>> clicking all the relevant links.
>>
>> I've been wondering if it would be good to have a QA page that just
>> summarises and links to this information, things like:
>>
>>  - Broken packages
>>  - Broken system tests
>>  - Broken fixed output package derivations
>>  - Lint warnings
>>  - ...

[...]

> Mainly, please represent the info so that a person can get it with wget
> and extract items with grep or simple tool and inspect with any editor.
>
> I.e., some form of structured text. Someone will make a shiny browser interface,
> but don't please don't make that a dependency for access to the data.

AFAIK, once you know where the data is, it is JSON.  For example:

<https://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/emacs/output-history.json>

The issue is to know what is the API.  Once you know it, you do not need
“shiny browser interface” to get them.  For a simple example, see:

    <https://yhetil.org/guix/86mu0rt95k.fsf@gmail.com/>

Having the API documented with plain words would be nice.  Help welcome! :-)

> Good tags for searching are helpful, of course.

I have always mixed feeling about tags.  Well, it depends on what you
name ’tags’ and what you want to search for.

All the best,
simon

* Re: Would a Guix QA page be helpful?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2021-02-08  0:28 ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2021-02-08  0:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines, guix-devel

Hi Chris,

On Sat, 06 Feb 2021 at 20:20, Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> wrote:

> I've been wondering if it would be good to have a QA page that just
> summarises and links to this information, things like:
>
>  - Broken packages
>  - Broken system tests
>  - Broken fixed output package derivations
>  - Lint warnings
>  - ...

This would be really nice.

BTW, where is the API documented?