unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Jan Wielkiewicz <tona_kosmicznego_smiecia@interia.pl>
To: Ryan Prior <ryanprior@hey.com>
Cc: Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution
	<guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: updating Jami to "Together", Qt update?
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2020 00:16:02 +0100	[thread overview]

Dnia 2020-11-18, o godz. 20:17:54
Ryan Prior <ryanprior@hey.com> napisał(a):

> On November 18, 2020, Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> wrote:
> > aviva <aviva@gmx.us> writes:
> >
> > > nobody i know uses it.  without a community of users, it has no
> > purpose
> >
> > There must always be a first user ;)
>
> I use Jami regularly with a few adventurous friends who like peer-to-
> peer things. We often have to fall back to another video system like
> Jitsi to finish our calls, but keep returning for more punishment
> because we believe in the dream.
>
> I have been specifically burned before by the Jami package in Guix. It
> hasn't played well with other Jami software; I started having better
> luck when I switched to using the Debian package. But if you get the
> Together release working well I'm absolutely down to give it another
> shot!

Remember you can always let me know if something doesn't work with my
package on this mailing list. I've never had luck with Jami to be honest
and bringing the package to the point where it is now was about 7
months of building it on my core 2 duo system, finding bugs, missing
dependencies, irreproducible bugs, etc. Stupid "DNDEBUG" flag pushed me
into another months of trying to figure out why audio calls were
crashing.

Did you try Jami from Guix before or after my updates? I mostly started
maintaining this package because it was 1. broken 2. building it from
source on a different distro gave strange effects.

Generally speaking I witnessed Jami (then Ring) going from absolutely
broken, unusable software to the point I can use it to chat with
friends, send files, etc. The last year of development fixed many
disgusting bugs.

Also remember that buggy routers and the unholy invention called NAT has
a big part of making Jami and generally p2p applications less usable.

Jan Wielkiewicz