* updating Jami to "Together", Qt update?
@ 2020-11-18  1:45 Jan Wielkiewicz
From: Jan Wielkiewicz @ 2020-11-18  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello everyone,

I managed to compile the latest release of Jami and I'll be sending
patches soon.
Is anyone planning to update Qt to 5.15.1? It would be nice if Jami
used this version to stay close to upstream.
I can update it if no one plans that.

Jan Wielkiewicz

* Re: updating Jami to "Together", Qt update?
@ 2020-11-18  2:06 ` aviva
From: aviva @ 2020-11-18  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

On 11/17/20 8:45 PM, Jan Wielkiewicz wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I managed to compile the latest release of Jami and I'll be sending
> patches soon.
> Is anyone planning to update Qt to 5.15.1? It would be nice if Jami
> used this version to stay close to upstream.
> I can update it if no one plans that.
>

> Jan Wielkiewicz

I wish I could find a reason to use it

* Re: updating Jami to "Together", Qt update?
@ 2020-11-18  8:10 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-11-18  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Wielkiewicz, guix-devel

Hi Jan!

Jan Wielkiewicz <tona_kosmicznego_smiecia@interia.pl> writes:

> I managed to compile the latest release of Jami and I'll be sending
> patches soon.

Congrats and thanks again for your continuous effort!

> Is anyone planning to update Qt to 5.15.1?

Not that I know of, Qt support is always welcome!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

* Re: updating Jami to "Together", Qt update?
@ 2020-11-18 18:11   ` Jan Wielkiewicz
From: Jan Wielkiewicz @ 2020-11-18 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aviva; +Cc: guix-devel

Dnia 2020-11-17, o godz. 21:06:44
aviva <aviva@gmx.us> napisał(a):

> On 11/17/20 8:45 PM, Jan Wielkiewicz wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I managed to compile the latest release of Jami and I'll be sending
> > patches soon.
> > Is anyone planning to update Qt to 5.15.1? It would be nice if Jami
> > used this version to stay close to upstream.
> > I can update it if no one plans that.
> >

> > Jan Wielkiewicz
> >

> I wish I could find a reason to use it

Works without a server, full p2p, can run in LAN without the Internet
access, allows sending files p2p, allows audio/video calls,
multi-platform, etc.

* Re: updating Jami to "Together", Qt update?
@ 2020-11-18 18:15   ` Jan Wielkiewicz
From: Jan Wielkiewicz @ 2020-11-18 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

Dnia 2020-11-18, o godz. 09:10:52
Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> napisał(a):

> Hi Jan!
>
> Jan Wielkiewicz <tona_kosmicznego_smiecia@interia.pl> writes:
>
> > I managed to compile the latest release of Jami and I'll be sending
> > patches soon.
>
> Congrats and thanks again for your continuous effort!

Thanks.

> > Is anyone planning to update Qt to 5.15.1?
>
> Not that I know of, Qt support is always welcome!

Well, I wouldn't call it a support because I have no idea about Qt
development/packaging nor I know how to fully test it, but I can bump
the version numbers and hope it compiles. I succesfully updated 3 Qt
packages Jami depends on in my private repo and it worked.

@ 2020-11-18 19:04     ` aviva
From: aviva @ 2020-11-18 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Wielkiewicz; +Cc: guix-devel

On 11/18/20 1:11 PM, Jan Wielkiewicz wrote:
>> I wish I could find a reason to use it
>>

> Works without a server, full p2p, can run in LAN without the Internet
> access, allows sending files p2p, allows audio/video calls,
> multi-platform, etc.

nobody i know uses it.  without a community of users, it has no purpose

* Re: updating Jami to "Together", Qt update?
@ 2020-11-18 19:17       ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-11-18 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aviva, Jan Wielkiewicz; +Cc: guix-devel

aviva <aviva@gmx.us> writes:

> nobody i know uses it.  without a community of users, it has no purpose

There must always be a first user ;)

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

* Re: updating Jami to "Together", Qt update?
@ 2020-11-18 20:17         ` Ryan Prior
From: Ryan Prior @ 2020-11-18 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: aviva, Jan Wielkiewicz, Pierre Neidhardt
  Cc: Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution

On November 18, 2020, Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> wrote:\r
> aviva <aviva@gmx.us> writes:\r
>\r
> > nobody i know uses it.  without a community of users, it has no\r
> purpose\r
>\r
> There must always be a first user ;)\r
\r
I use Jami regularly with a few adventurous friends who like peer-to-\r
peer things. We often have to fall back to another video system like\r
Jitsi to finish our calls, but keep returning for more punishment\r
because we believe in the dream.\r
\r
I have been specifically burned before by the Jami package in Guix. It\r
hasn't played well with other Jami software; I started having better\r
luck when I switched to using the Debian package. But if you get the\r
Together release working well I'm absolutely down to give it another\r
shot!\r

* Re: updating Jami to "Together", Qt update?
@ 2020-11-18 23:16           ` Jan Wielkiewicz
From: Jan Wielkiewicz @ 2020-11-18 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ryan Prior; +Cc: Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution

Dnia 2020-11-18, o godz. 20:17:54
Ryan Prior <ryanprior@hey.com> napisał(a):

> On November 18, 2020, Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> wrote:
> > aviva <aviva@gmx.us> writes:
> >
> > > nobody i know uses it.  without a community of users, it has no
> > purpose
> >
> > There must always be a first user ;)
>
> I use Jami regularly with a few adventurous friends who like peer-to-
> peer things. We often have to fall back to another video system like
> Jitsi to finish our calls, but keep returning for more punishment
> because we believe in the dream.
>
> I have been specifically burned before by the Jami package in Guix. It
> hasn't played well with other Jami software; I started having better
> luck when I switched to using the Debian package. But if you get the
> Together release working well I'm absolutely down to give it another
> shot!

Remember you can always let me know if something doesn't work with my
package on this mailing list. I've never had luck with Jami to be honest
and bringing the package to the point where it is now was about 7
months of building it on my core 2 duo system, finding bugs, missing
dependencies, irreproducible bugs, etc. Stupid "DNDEBUG" flag pushed me
into another months of trying to figure out why audio calls were
crashing.

Did you try Jami from Guix before or after my updates? I mostly started
maintaining this package because it was 1. broken 2. building it from
source on a different distro gave strange effects.

Generally speaking I witnessed Jami (then Ring) going from absolutely
broken, unusable software to the point I can use it to chat with
friends, send files, etc. The last year of development fixed many
disgusting bugs.

Also remember that buggy routers and the unholy invention called NAT has
a big part of making Jami and generally p2p applications less usable.

@ 2020-11-19  6:08         ` aviva
From: aviva @ 2020-11-19  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt, Jan Wielkiewicz; +Cc: guix-devel

On 11/18/20 2:17 PM, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> There must always be a first user ;)

that is not cute.