On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 01:47:25PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > Hi, > > Mathieu Othacehe skribis: > > >> I'm actually not really sure how one would use the installer on one of > >> the boards. I think the bare-bones disk-images would be best; just > >> download it and flash it onto the board or an SD card and edit > >> /etc/config.scm to add your user and services. Or to boot up into the > >> installer and overwrite itself. > > > > The CI is already building substitutes for two images > > (hurd-barebones-qcow2-image and pine64-barebones-raw-image). We could > > maybe release 1.2 version of those images. > > Keep in mind that images use space at ftp.gnu.org and also take time to > build (having CI up-to-date helps with that, but it doesn’t not > eliminate build times due to the ‘update-guix-package’ dance that takes > place during “make release”.) We could also list out the commands for building the image and have "community images" built and tested by people who actually have the boards. > Likewise, if we ship more images, we should update the “System > Installation” section accordingly and be clear about what users can > expect. My slightly more featureful pine64plus image I built for myself came out to 1.5 GiB and 291 MiB with bzip2. I don't know how much space the other images or x86* images are. We could also build and test them on a different schedule and upload them at a later date as they're shown to be working. > I guess all I’m saying is that we should not make such decisions lightly > and be sure to examine all the consequences. > > Thanks, > Ludo’. -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted