On Sun, Oct 11, 2020 at 05:23:30PM +1100, Brendan Tildesley wrote: > Hi, I went through the installer looking for anything negative I could say > about it :) hope there is something helpful here: > > > Unrelated driver bug: installer was just a black screen until I rebooted > with nomodeset:  https://paste.debian.net/1166581/ > Even with nomodeset, I get an error about no UMS supported in radeon, but it > doesn't stop anything. > > > Languages listed in the language selection are sometimes in English, Rarely > in the native language. What's the difference between "Mandarin Chinese" and > "Chinese"?. I guess this just requires translation data. The names of > languages in their respective languages is something that already exists in > a million different projects already, can we just copy them in? > Even when choosing Mandarin Chinese, nothing in the installer is in > Mandarin. I guess one also needs to choose the final system language too. > Random thought: could we adapt the installer to use the same sentences from > an existing installer, like the ubuntu one, so that all the translations can > be copied in for free? All the basic quesions like please choose a password > are surely shared between these installers. > > The installer allows choosing the installation USB its self as a target, > which I imagine would result in a disaster? People can shoot themselves in > the foot if they want I guess? Having somewhat recently played with them, I don't remember if Debian allows that, I'm pretty sure NetBSD does. In any case, that's exactly what I would want on an ARM device. > No indication of what buttons one needs to use what: space, enter, tab, nor > that there are other TTYs with documentation and how to get to them. > > Enter selects and takes you to the next line when its an input box, but it > does not select and take you out of it to the button below if it is the > bottom most checkbox. one must then move to the tab button. > > Down arrow in a checkbox list takes you down to the bottom of the list, but > then it will not jump out to the button below. It does take you from Ok to > Exit though, like left-right, but it wont cross the barriers. > > space doesnt select menu items, but does select and move down checkbox > lists, and selects buttons > > I found my self switching between enter, tab, and space to get through, by > going of intuition and thinking "do what i mean". > > Perhaps Esc should escape when it makes sense. > > > After getting through the install with encrypted root, The install finally > fails trying to install grub with: > > |Installing for i386-pc platform. grub-install: warning: this GPT partition > label contains no BIOS Boot Partition; embedding won't be possible. > grub-install: error: embedding is not possible, but this is required for > RAID and LVM install. | > > -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted