unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Continuous integration - automatic EMAIL
@ 2020-10-07 15:39 Danny Milosavljevic
From: Danny Milosavljevic @ 2020-10-07 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

please, let's improve building and testing processes.

Please, can we have the build servers send build failures to guix-devel
instead of hoping that people check manually?  I have other things to do
in my life than to poll random servers every few hours.

If you don't want to send e-mail on all failures (probably an overwhelming
flood at first--that's how bad the current state is!), then I suggest to:

Daily do, on each supported architecture (and I mean those packages
specifically--it's not an example stand-in):

  guix pull
  guix build glibc || mail guix-devel@gnu.org -s "glibc failed"
  guix build gtk+ || mail guix-devel@gnu.org -s "gtk+ failed"
  guix build gnome-desktop || mail guix-devel@gnu.org -s "gnome-desktop failed"

and I mean automatically--not triggered manually by a person.

Maybe I'm missing something--but the amount of manual fiddling I have to do
which a computer could automate perfectly well is REALLY inefficient.

There's nothing fundamental missing--why can't the last obvious step be
added so it is actually automatic?