unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* linux-libre updates, timeliness
@ 2020-09-30 22:45 Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2020-09-30 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I just pushed commit 51eb3e11 [0], bringing our linux-libre kernel
packages up to date.

It's September 30 here. The commit is dated September 28, because that's
when I made it. These kernels were released upstream on September 26.

Personally, I am okay with the risks implied by this kind of timeframe,
but as a distro we should try to do these updates more quickly. Ideally,
they should be updated as soon as the sources are available and the
packager has tested the changes. I am committed to helping maintain the
linux-libre packages, but I won't always update our packages right away.

Everyone can contribute here! Minor linux-libre kernel updates can be
relied upon to work. They almost never cause blocking problems, based on
the lack of bug reports about them.

[0]
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=51eb3e113c478f0683e92412785ee82e56c45621

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: linux-libre updates, timeliness
@ 2020-10-05 13:53 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-10-05 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Leo,

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:

> I just pushed commit 51eb3e11 [0], bringing our linux-libre kernel
> packages up to date.
>
> It's September 30 here. The commit is dated September 28, because that's
> when I made it. These kernels were released upstream on September 26.

Of course we can always do better, but I think 4 days is reasonable.

> Personally, I am okay with the risks implied by this kind of timeframe,
> but as a distro we should try to do these updates more quickly. Ideally,
> they should be updated as soon as the sources are available and the
> packager has tested the changes. I am committed to helping maintain the
> linux-libre packages, but I won't always update our packages right away.
>
> Everyone can contribute here! Minor linux-libre kernel updates can be
> relied upon to work. They almost never cause blocking problems, based on
> the lack of bug reports about them.

What update, build, and testing recipe would you recommend to someone
willing to help?

Thanks for your work, much appreciated!

Ludo’.

* Re: linux-libre updates, timeliness
@ 2020-10-05 21:12   ` Yasuaki Kudo
From: Yasuaki Kudo @ 2020-10-05 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Just out of curiosity, is it the case if only Linux Kernel team itself separated the controversial (with GNU folks, at least 😄) aspect of Linux as some build option, we don't have to maintain this  "LinuxLibre" in the first place?

Cheers,
Yasu

@ 2020-10-06 14:48     ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2020-10-06 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yasuaki Kudo; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Oct 06, 2020 at 06:12:15AM +0900, Yasuaki Kudo wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, is it the case if only Linux Kernel team itself
> separated the controversial (with GNU folks, at least 😄) aspect of
> Linux as some build option, we don't have to maintain this
> "LinuxLibre" in the first place?

If you are asking if linux-libre is slowing down the process of updating
the kernel for Guix users, the answer is that it's not a significant
delay.

@ 2020-10-06 14:49   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2020-10-06 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

On Mon, Oct 05, 2020 at 03:53:05PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> What update, build, and testing recipe would you recommend to someone
> willing to help?

I boot a `guix system vm` using the latest stable kernel, and also build
the sources of the rest of the kernels. I also do the "basic" system
test.

I would like to use the build farm to perform continuous integration
testing with all the kernel versions, but that's not currently
practical.

@ 2020-10-06 21:32       ` Yasuaki Kudo
From: Yasuaki Kudo @ 2020-10-06 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Sorry, I meant to ask really a simple question because I just wanted to understand LinuxLibre.   😄  There is an explanation here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux-libre

But I was intrigued, that it felt like a situation where a vegetarian would order a pizza from a restaurant that doesn't offer a vegetarian option so he has to painstakingly remove meat from it, while it would have been better if the cook could make it without the meat in the first place 😄

Is above a fair analogy for the Linux Kernel?

Cheers,
Yasu

@ 2020-10-09 19:54         ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2020-10-09 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yasuaki Kudo; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, Oct 07, 2020 at 06:32:34AM +0900, Yasuaki Kudo wrote:
> But I was intrigued, that it felt like a situation where a vegetarian would order a pizza from a restaurant that doesn't offer a vegetarian option so he has to painstakingly remove meat from it, while it would have been better if the cook could make it without the meat in the first place 😄
>
> Is above a fair analogy for the Linux Kernel?

It's not unfair, but remember that it is just an analogy. Analogies are
very imprecise tools for understanding. It's reasonable to expect that a
restaurant would alter their recipes upon request, but Linux is not a
restaurant.