unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Packaging question: Backport patch or use newer commit?
@ 2020-09-12 16:04 Zhu Zihao
From: Zhu Zihao @ 2020-09-12 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel@gnu.org

Hi everybody. I' m packaging digikam(https://digikam.org). A free photo management software from KDE project. There're 2 dependecies missing from current Guix(qtav & libksane)

I tried to package qtav(https://github.com/wang-bin/QtAV/) first, but it's latest release(v1.13.0) failed to build with Qt 5.14. And it was fixed in https://github.com/wang-bin/QtAV/commit/5abba7f0505e75fc. The question is: "Should I backport this fix to v1.13.0 or just use this commit to build qtav?"

If there're some guidelines on this, please tell me, thanks a lot!

--

Zihao

* Re: Packaging question: Backport patch or use newer commit?
@ 2020-09-12 16:35 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2020-09-12 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhu Zihao; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 12:04:11AM +0800, Zhu Zihao wrote:
> Hi everybody. I' m packaging digikam(https://digikam.org). A free photo management software from KDE project. There're 2 dependecies missing from current Guix(qtav & libksane)
>

> I tried to package qtav(https://github.com/wang-bin/QtAV/) first, but it's latest release(v1.13.0) failed to build with Qt 5.14. And it was fixed in https://github.com/wang-bin/QtAV/commit/5abba7f0505e75fc. The question is: "Should I backport this fix to v1.13.0 or just use this commit to build qtav?"
>

> If there're some guidelines on this, please tell me, thanks a lot!

In general, we try to only package what upstream considers the "latest
release".

If the latest release doesn't work, we try to fix it in the smallest way
that we can.

So, in this case, that would mean trying to apply the patch you
mentioned to the 1.13.0 release. If that works, great.

Otherwise, we have to also consider the value of our own time, and it
might be best to build the software based on the commit itself.

Does that help?

* Re:Re: Packaging question: Backport patch or use newer commit?
@ 2020-09-13  4:20   ` Zhu Zihao
From: Zhu Zihao @ 2020-09-13  4:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org