Hi Vagrant, On Thu, 13 Aug 2020 09:47:21 -0700 Vagrant Cascadian wrote: > The source checkout was quite slow to download, and took up ~1GB in the > store once completed. I'm not sure how guix's git origin works exactly; git init git remote add origin if git fetch --depth 1 origin then git checkout FETCH_HEAD else echo "Failed to do a shallow fetch; retrying a full fetch..." git fetch origin git checkout fi if ,recursive? then git submodule update --init --recursive rm -rf .git for each submodule fi rm -rf .git See guix/build/git.scm . There exist git servers that have disabled fetching by commit hash for "security" reasons (if you checked in a file containing a password and then removed it again, and no branch or tag to it exists, nobody can get to it even if he knew the commit hash). We would always use the fallback for those servers. > if it downloads the entire git history even to perform a shallow > checkout of a single commit, and then throws out the git history? As a fallback if the above doesn't work. > appear to be calling git with flags to perform a shallow checkout. Yes.