On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 10:27:14AM +0200, Lars-Dominik Braun wrote: > Hi, > > I’ve been looking into integrating pypy3 (a JIT Python 3 implementation) > tighter into guix. Right now we have a package, but it’s not that > useful, because there are no pypy3-* libraries. pypy3 works somewhat well for me already in this regard: ~$ genv --pure --ad-hoc pypy3 python-sympy python -- pypy3 Python 3.6.9 (?, Jan 01 1970, 00:00:00) [PyPy 7.3.1 with GCC 7.5.0] on linux Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information. >>>> import sympy >>>> sympy.isprime(694201337) True The `python' package needs to be included in the environment so that PYTHONPATH gets set, but apart from that, the normal python-prefixed packages seem to work with pypy. At least, for a sample size of 1 ;) I suppose it could be worth it to precompile the packages for use in pypy too, though. I'm not sure what's the best way of solving this. Just creating separate pypy3-* packages has the big drawback that if you use python-* instead, you silently get worse loading performance. Thoughts? Regards, Jakub Kądziołka