On Wed, Jul 01, 2020 at 11:10:23AM +0200, zimoun wrote: > Hi Pjotr, > > Thank you for sharing your plans. > > On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 at 23:57, Pjotr Prins wrote: > > > GenNetwork1 depends on Python 2.4(!) with modules that have not been > > updated this century, and an older version of Apache with mod_python, > > amongst other things. We would like to use the guix time-machine > > feature to run older versions on demand in containers, also for the > > recent GeneNetwork2 version which runs on a modern Guix stack. When we > > get it to work I would like to push the older packages in Guix-Past. > > I guess that the recent commit [1] by Efraim is part of this effort. :-) Part of the effort :) I have a bunch more older packages that I'll probably push to guix-past as time goes on. Right now I have a no-longer-working octave-3.4.3 with some deps, apache-2.2 and possibly php-5.6. They're possibly ready to push as-is, but I want to make sure they actually work for some task before adding them. > > By container, what do you have in mind: > guix time-machine --channels=file.scm \ > > -- environment --container > or > -- pack -f > or > -- system *-image > > ? I think we're looking at 'guix system container' so it can be a "standard" guix service using them (as much as custom guix services are standard). > > 1: https://gitlab.inria.fr/guix-hpc/guix-past/-/commit/f9fe4d8ac2706834fcff477db8f5421de537d78e > > > > Note that GeneNetwork requires a largisch MySQL/MariaDB (170GB) > > which is also a snapshot in time. We have 5+ snapshots of that > > database that go with 5+ versions of the code. We want to run them all > > under Guix so we no longer have to care about the underlying Linux > > distro. > > I agree that Guix does not have (yet!) good management of large data > set. The /gnu/store is not designed for that, if I have correctly > understood. Even we have already discussed Content-Addressable Storage > (CAS) on gwl-devel@gnu.org, AFAIR, we have not ended up with a good > plan. Well, it will not be fixed on Friday. :-) > > But for sure, it is something to keep in mind. > > > So, see you on Friday. :-) > > Cheers, > simon > -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted