unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Returning to the project
@ 2020-06-26 22:59 brettg
From: brettg @ 2020-06-26 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix devel

Hey all,

I think some of you may member me. I am a committer to the Guix project
who took a hiatus after my son was born. I am returning from that hiatus
and would love to begin contributing again.

I have a new set of PGP keys, and am curious about the method to get
back into a position where contributions can be made. If anybody can
help guide me in the right direction it would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Brett Gilio

* Re: Returning to the project
@ 2020-06-27  0:16 ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2020-06-27  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brettg; +Cc: Guix devel

Hey welcome back Brett!

I was hopeful about the formal methods working group! Also all your work on the MLton toolchain was very interesting. I don’t think any work has been done on those since you left off :)

Good to see you,

- John

* Re: Returning to the project
@ 2020-06-27  3:00 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2020-06-27  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brettg; +Cc: Guix devel

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 12:59:36AM +0200, brettg@posteo.net wrote:
> I think some of you may member me. I am a committer to the Guix project who
> took a hiatus after my son was born. I am returning from that hiatus and
> would love to begin contributing again.

Welcome back!

Please upload your new key to your account on Savannah:

https://savannah.gnu.org/users/brettgilio

> I have a new set of PGP keys, and am curious about the method to get back
> into a position where contributions can be made. If anybody can help guide
> me in the right direction it would be appreciated!

The contribution workflow is mostly the same, but here are the two
noteworthy changes I can think of:

First, the cutoff between the 'staging' and 'core-updates' branches was
increased from 1200 to 1800 package rebuilds [1].

Second, the signatures of the Git commits are used in more parts of Guix
than before [2]. You'll need to make some tweaks related to this.

The pre-push Git hook has improved from simply checking that commits are
signed. It now also makes sure those signatures were made by approved
committers. So make sure you're using the latest version of the hook
script found at 'etc/git/pre-push' in our Git repo, in order to avoid
mistakes.

The hook runs the new `make authenticate` Makefile target, which is
worth getting to work before needing to push. You'll need to fetch the
'keyring' Git branch and keep it around in your copy of the repo.

The HACKING file turned into a chapter in the manual, and item #4 has
some more info about these GPG-related changes [3]. Also more info at
the end of Building From Git [4].

[1] See item #8:
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html

[2]
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/issue/22883#89

[3]
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Commit-Access.html

[4]
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Building-from-Git.html

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Returning to the project
@ 2020-06-28 20:48 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-06-28 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brettg; +Cc: Guix devel

Hi Brett,

brettg@posteo.net skribis:

> I think some of you may member me. I am a committer to the Guix
> project who took a hiatus after my son was born. I am returning from
> that hiatus and would love to begin contributing again.

Welcome back!  :-)

> I have a new set of PGP keys, and am curious about the method to get
> back into a position where contributions can be made. If anybody can
> help guide me in the right direction it would be appreciated!

Leo provided you all the relevant info.  Feel free to ask if anything’s
unclear or if you have any doubts!

Should we remove your former key from ‘.guix-authorizations’?

  ("DFC0 C7F7 9EE6 0CA7 AE55  5E19 6722 43C4 A03F 0EEE"
   (name "brettgilio"))

It would be best if you could sign a message with your former key
introducing the new one.

If you lost control of the old key though, please let us know.

Thanks!

Ludo’.