unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il>
To: Trevor Lee <begleybrothers@gmail.com>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Replacing Yocto with Guix kernel image builds: best practices
Date: Sun, 17 May 2020 16:20:43 +0300	[thread overview]

On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 09:41:00PM +1000, Trevor Lee wrote:
> Hi,
> We are now looking to build Linux kernels using Guix instead of Yocto.  We
> can't see any reason why the builds wouldn't be linux-libre. Ideally we'd
> like our effort to be accepted by upstream guix.
>
> However, being new to Guix we are still coming grips with the best
> practice(s) for what we would like to do.
> We've looked at Guix's linux.scm, and
> Efraim Flashner's post[1] is our primary reference - many thanks Efraim.

I'd like to embarrassingly mention that I never actually booted any of
my custom kernels. My machine was a bit too slow to regularly compile
for some guess-and-check.

> We'd appreciate any pointers to package definition(s) that demonstrate best
> practices to do what we'd like:
>
> - We'd like to build custom configured kernels for each patch series in the
> LTS 4.14.72+, 4.19+ and 5.4+.
> - Currently we have two `base` kernel configs that each 'variant'
> configuration is applied to for each of a machine 'type' (3 machine types)
> and one of two 'arch'.
> - Currently we can generate a full kernel `.config` for a
> kernel+base+variant+arch (we are working on the best way to handle
> different machines if we are not using Yocto.)
> - We'd ideally like to generate `vmlinux`, `initrd` and `rootfs` images for
> each.
>
> Based on Efraim's post we think the first example is the least friction -
> "including an actual .config file as a native input to our custom kernel".
> Assume we resolve the machine definition issue.  However we're puzzled
> about how to best distribute the configuration file such that a build of
> kernel x.y.z can be updated with fixes.
> The constraint of users being able to use the std guix commands rather than
> telling them to download a config file or clone a git repo and copy a
> config file is what is puzzling. Some options we thought about seem
> inelegant - hence too embarassing to mention - so we'll skip them ;)
> Leaving....

Something which I very recently learned is a command 'make savedefconfig'
which minimizes the .config to just a minimal number of Y/N/m answers
which, when used to compile a kernel, gives the same outcome as the full
config that spawned it. I've thought again about making a minimal kernel
for my machine and I haven't decided still if I'd go with savedefconfig
and translate it to a generated file or not.

> 1) We did wonder if channels[2] were the way to go with each kernel x.y.z
> in its own branch and config files therein. Could anyone point us to
> packages that setup and use package specific channels?
> 2) Should we be aiming to provide a single package with multiple parameters
> or is it better to provide a package for each kernel x.y.z, or some other
> partitioning. We'd likely want to script the package definition then -
> correct?

I would probably start with one package each and then see how they could
be made to inherit from one another or grouped together. The way the
current make-linux-libre procedures work has grown quite a bit but they
should still mostly work as a starting point to add/remove bits for
customizing for your needs.

I don't think I'd go with different branches. If you keep everything in
one branch then it's easier to deduplicate work between the different
variants.