On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 12:26:13PM -0500, Leo Famulari wrote: > I'm wondering if I can just push the crates as a single commit, after > inserting them alphabetically and fixing any cosmetic issues, and also > handling the semver-compatible package updates. > > I know that we don't usually do this when adding packages to an existing > module. We do add packages en masse when creating a new module. > > The reason I'm asking to make an exception to our policy of one package > or update per commit are that it will be a ton of work (several full > days at least) to add software that is already working fine on the > wip-rav1e branch. > It took me about 3 weeks to review ~270 patches for alacritty and it was easily more than 20 hours. > I don't see what value this additional labor will give to Guix users, > including developers. At least, I don't think the value of individual > commits will outweigh the value of my labor in this case. > > What do you all think? I suppose it's not that much different than updating all the GHC packages in one go, except that they're more interconnected. I suppose we could throw them all into the crates-io module and then hack on all 270 packages at once in a separate branch. That certainly would be easier than adding them one at a time. -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted