On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 10:04:26AM +0200, Pierre Neidhardt wrote: > Ricardo Wurmus writes: > > > This does not contradict what I wrote. *Building* the packages differs > > from just copying the generated files to their expected locations. I > > doubt Nix actually generates all these files from source. > > Indeed. We discussed this some time back: we can come up with a build > system / importer that tries to generate the file the best it can, and > if it fails to produce the expected output, we can fallback on copying > the SVN files. Not ideal, but better than what we have now ;) > TeX is like black magic to me. The only thing I have to add is that Debian "compiles" (or however it works) as a post-install hook, and they have a DD who also works on TeX itself. However, as a binary distribution, they have no incentive to break it up into smaller pieces. Gentoo might be better with that, but I have no idea. -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted