On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 11:08:57PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > Hello Efraim, > > Efraim Flashner skribis: > > > Ignoring the directories in users' home directories, /var/lib/gdm has > > been a source of pain on GNOME upgrades, and we still have some problems > > with /var/cache/fontconfig and I believe there is something else with > > permissions if you switch between ntp and openntpd. I actually have the > > following snippet in my OS-config: > > > > ;; This directory shouldn't exist > > (file-system > > (device "none") > > (mount-point "/var/cache/fontconfig") > > (type "tmpfs") > > (flags '(read-only)) > > (check? #f)) > > I think that would work, or we could even make it a writable tmpfs? I got angry with it and wanted to see if I could generate any error messages. :) So far nothing. Of course there isn't a compelling reason to really make it read-only if we recreate it each time, and it should cut down on bugs for other directories. > > (Somehow, I do have /var/cache/fontconfig, but never hard any problems > with it. It hasn’t been written to in months, and it’s only writable by > root anyway. Does that mean that people run into problem when they run > GUIs as root?) I have it too, not sure from what. I'm guessing some of the packages which have fontconfig as an input get a dbus-something to create the directory if it's missing. > > > While we work on fixing these does it make sense to modify some of these > > services to unconditionally recreate their home directories on > > boot/activation? > > Like /var/lib/gdm? Maybe. Or maybe ‘gdm-service-type’ could extend > ‘file-system-service-type’ with a tmpfs for /var/lib/gdm? > Sounds like a good idea. Would that also cause the directory to be removed if gdm is removed? It should create a tmpfs and mount it over an existing /var/lib/gdm, right? > I suppose that might increase startup time a bit since it’d be > rebuilding its cache every time. Perhaps we’d also lose bits of state, > no? The increase in startup time should be negligible, and according to rekado, who seems to run into GDM issues the most, removing /var/lib/gdm is one of the first steps when upgrading gnome or debugging gdm issues. > > Thanks, > Ludo’. -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted