On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 04:57:28PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > Hello Efraim, > > Like I wrote before, I like the tone and how the post addresses the > topic. So I just have minor cosmetic suggestions, and then I guess you > can push to guix-artwork.git and we can put it on-line maybe tomorrow? > > Efraim Flashner skribis: > > > Guix is, at its core, a source based distribution with substitutes, and > ^~ > Perhaps link to > > here. > Done > > as such building packages from their source code is an expected part of > > regular package installations and upgrades. Given this starting point, > > it makes sense that efforts are made to reduce the amount of time spent > > compiling packages, and recent changes and upgrades to the building and > > distribution of substitutes continues to be a topic of discussion within > > Guix. One of the packages which I prefer to not build myself is the > ^ > Start a new paragraph here? > Ok > > The linux-libre kernel package definition is actually a procedure which > ^ > Please make sure to write `linux-libre` (with backquotes) for all the > identifiers, file names, and commands that appears in the post, notably > all the CONFIG_* identifiers. > > Perhaps you can also link to > ? > I also added one when I got to the snippet referencing line 379. > > (define-public linux-libre-macbook41 > > ;; XXX: Access the internal 'make-linux-libre' procedure, which is > > ;; private and unexported, and is liable to change in the future. > > ((@@ (gnu packages linux) make-linux-libre) (@@ (gnu packages linux) %linux-libre-version) > > Can this one be rewritten using the ‘inherit’ idiom that was discussed? > If not, that’s probably OK since you explicitly write that this is not > the recommended approach. Unfortunately I don't think it's possible. We're modifying the output from the `make-linux-libre` procedure, not the package and its inputs it's wrapped in. I don't think it's possible without calling the procedure, at which point we may as well call it directly. I also didn't parameterize the %linux-libre-5.1-patches reference, but buyer beware on that kernel definition :) > > Thanks for your work! > > Ludo’. -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted