On Wed, Apr 03, 2019 at 01:08:14AM -0700, Chris Marusich wrote: > Efraim Flashner writes: > > > I'm playing around with the idea of creating a custom kernel > > Cool! I'm curious to know how you're passing the custom config in. Are > you using the #:extra-options keyword argument of the make-linux-libre > procedure? Are you passing in a procedure to generate the entire custom > configuration via the #:configuration-file keyword argument? Something > else? > For the first one I used the #:extra-options route and compiled a list. The second one I tried I created a custom kernel and left #:defconfig as #f and inherited that to add a kconfig to the native-inputs. Once I read a bit more of the kernel documentation it wasn't too bad to create a list of what I needed. tar xf $(guix build linux-libre -S) cd linux-libre touch .config guix environment linux-libre make localmodconfig copy that into .config and fix the formatting make localmodconfig if that works well enough then add "CONFIG_MODULES=y" to .config and you're ready to try it out. Stock kernel on my slow desktop took 243(?) minutes, the custom kernel from localmodconfig took 21 minutes, but I haven't tested it yet. When I try again on my laptop I'm going to go again with #:extra-options since I can define the localmodconfig options as %macbook41-kernel-options and append to it other groups of modules, such as filesystems, efi support, etc. -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted