unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* IRC freenode issue
@ 2018-08-02 13:04 Clément Lassieur
From: Clément Lassieur @ 2018-08-02 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

There seems to be an issue with #guix: I can't join anymore.  The error
is:

  Cannot join channel (+i) - you must be invited

I think it also happens to other people (ng0, marusich).

Clément

* Re: IRC freenode issue
@ 2018-08-02 13:57 ` Andy Wingo
From: Andy Wingo @ 2018-08-02 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Lassieur; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

On Thu 02 Aug 2018 15:04, Clément Lassieur <clement@lassieur.org> writes:

> There seems to be an issue with #guix: I can't join anymore.  The error
> is:
>
>   Cannot join channel (+i) - you must be invited
>
> I think it also happens to other people (ng0, marusich).

This is a configuration error I think.  There was a similar one in
Guile.  The fundamental issue is that we are not irc experts :)  The
derived issue is that someone suggested the "/mode +r" command to remove
a spam problem.  But for some reason that is preventing people from
joining.  Goran Weinholt then suggested "/mode -r" but "/mode +q $~a",
as what #scheme and #chez were using; that lets anyone join but only
registered users speak.  However in the meantime the only ops in #guix
were unavailable.  I think this will get fixed whenever Mark, Ricardo,
or Ludo can get around to it.

Visit #guile for technical support in the meantime.

Andy

* Re: IRC freenode issue
@ 2018-08-02 14:28 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-08-02 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Lassieur; +Cc: guix-devel

Clément Lassieur <clement@lassieur.org> writes:

> There seems to be an issue with #guix: I can't join anymore.  The error
> is:
>
>   Cannot join channel (+i) - you must be invited
>
> I think it also happens to other people (ng0, marusich).

It also happened to me.

Mark granted me ops, but since I could not join #guix I wasn’t able to
correct the configuration problem.  It was only when rain1 and Andy
Wingo sent me instructions on how to invite myself to #guix that I could
remove the “i” flag.

I switched from “r” to “/mode +q $~a” as per the suggestions that Andy
forwarded.  This means that currently only people with registered
accounts can speak on the channel.

I would be much happier if we could filter messages or automatically ban
accounts posting these seemingly unchanging messages.  If someone has an
idea on how to do this, please let us know!

--
Ricardo

* Re: IRC freenode issue
@ 2018-08-02 14:37 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2018-08-02 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Lassieur; +Cc: guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

Hi Clément,

Clément Lassieur <clement@lassieur.org> writes:

> There seems to be an issue with #guix: I can't join anymore.  The error
> is:
>
>   Cannot join channel (+i) - you must be invited
>
> I think it also happens to other people (ng0, marusich).

Sorry, this was my mistake.  I typed the wrong command while trying to
give ops privileges to Ricardo.  It seems to be fixed now.

      Mark

* Re: IRC freenode issue
@ 2018-08-02 15:11   ` Clément Lassieur
From: Clément Lassieur @ 2018-08-02 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel, Ricardo Wurmus

Hi Mark,

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:

> Hi Clément,
>
> Clément Lassieur <clement@lassieur.org> writes:
>
>> There seems to be an issue with #guix: I can't join anymore.  The error
>> is:
>>
>>   Cannot join channel (+i) - you must be invited
>>
>> I think it also happens to other people (ng0, marusich).
>
> Sorry, this was my mistake.  I typed the wrong command while trying to
> give ops privileges to Ricardo.  It seems to be fixed now.
>
>       Mark

Anyway it's fixed, and it's better than before because we got rid of the
spammers.  Thank you all!

Clément

* Re: IRC freenode issue
@ 2018-08-02 22:18   ` Amirouche Boubekki
From: Amirouche Boubekki @ 2018-08-02 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel, Clément Lassieur

Le ven. 3 août 2018 à 00:15, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> a écrit :

> Clément Lassieur <clement@lassieur.org> writes:
>
> > There seems to be an issue with #guix: I can't join anymore.  The error
> > is:
> >
> >   Cannot join channel (+i) - you must be invited
>
> I would be much happier if we could filter messages or automatically ban
> accounts posting these seemingly unchanging messages.  If someone has an
> idea on how to do this, please let us know!

I think wingo has a script to filter spam used on his weblog and Chris W.
has a bot.
It might be a way to achieve that using guile.

> --
> Ricardo

 amz3

* Re: IRC freenode issue
@ 2018-08-03  9:23     ` Nils Gillmann
From: Nils Gillmann @ 2018-08-03  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amirouche Boubekki; +Cc: guix-devel, Clément Lassieur

Amirouche Boubekki transcribed 2.2K bytes:
> Le ven. 3 août 2018 à 00:15, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> a écrit :
>

> > Clément Lassieur <clement@lassieur.org> writes:
> >
> > > There seems to be an issue with #guix: I can't join anymore.  The error
> > > is:
> > >
> > >   Cannot join channel (+i) - you must be invited
> >
> > I would be much happier if we could filter messages or automatically ban
> > accounts posting these seemingly unchanging messages.  If someone has an
> > idea on how to do this, please let us know!
> >

> I think wingo has a script to filter spam used on his weblog and Chris W.
> has a bot.
> It might be a way to achieve that using guile.

IRC has the "f" mode. We could "somehow" simply kick them into a
waiting room where they can spam all day. If you find a solution, we
as gnunet would be interested in the bot as well.

> > --
> > Ricardo
> >

>  amz3

* Re: IRC freenode issue
@ 2018-08-06 14:47       ` Nils Gillmann
From: Nils Gillmann @ 2018-08-06 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus, wingo, guix-devel

Alright, here's an update to the situation and a proposed solution.

Commit https://github.com/ProgVal/Limnoria/commit/e6032c68bc0e2004f7c0a312216472c87e389747 added configurable delay to limnoria irc bot.
I was told by the implementor that it should work like this:

load AutoMode, channel capability set voice, config channel plugins.automode.enabled, config channel plugins.automode.delay 15

Now since #guix, #guile, #gnunet seem to be in the same boat with regards to the mode
and sometimes spam, but we probably want to act as independent communities it won't
make much sense to share a limnoria bot, right?
If not, my idea would be that one of sets up a bot, and it gets to control this for
now.
The safe, least trust involved, solution would be that you can see this as a proposed
tool to use, and set it up yourself.

Nils Gillmann transcribed 916 bytes: