unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Danny Milosavljevic <dannym@scratchpost.org>
To: "Björn Höfling" <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de>
Cc: guix-devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Installation-Protocol for GuixSD x86_64 v0.15-preview
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2018 15:27:52 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Björn,

thanks for testing it!

On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 10:15:53 +0200
Björn Höfling <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> wrote:

> 2) The welcome screen with installation instructions is a bit
> cluttered. I had in mind that Danny already worked on this?

Only for the serial tty init.  But it might be similar here too, I don't know.

> PIO_UNIMAPCLR: Input/output error
> 3) PIO_UNIMAPCLR: Input/output error
>
> Anything to worry about?

According to https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v3.2/source/include/linux/kd.h#L70
that's trying to clear the Unicode -> font map (that is, charmap).

In Linux, ./drivers/tty/vt/vt_ioctl.c implements it.

Can't see how that ever ends up in -EIO O_o

> The first line is written in English with a decimal point. The last line is written in English, although the decimal separator is German [Furthermore, It's more confusing to report the 0.00081 MiBs, i.e. about 80KiB saved space. Rounding should be done after 3 places].

Please, anything *but* 3 fractional places.

Right now, it's still possible to disambiguate "," and "." errors--that would
not be possible with 3 fractional places.

After this release, let's integrate an installer.

wip-installer-2 works fine.  The architecture could be more generic (it has
peculiar ideas about how any installer screen MUST look), but it's not bad
or anything.  Also, the wizard leaves something to be desired (I didn't
find the place where it does that yet: You can select any future step, but
if it requires information in a dependent step, it will instead jump to
that one - that's jarring and not what you would expect - at least not
without good visualization).

I thought about doing fully generic Guile window management library a la
Turbo Vision but it's really overkill for what we need.  Nice, sure.

I think the technical holdup for merging wip-installer-2 to master was the
modularization of guix.

Also, I've packaged Anaconda, the Red Hat installer.  It still fails some
tests (and has a lot of dependencies).  I would need some help with Guix's
gi.repository handling.