Hello, Though I don't use neither contribute to shepherd, nor guix, guixsd either, I got curious, because the error message did trigger a bell, so I went on and visited the source code and here is my few cents :) > I am already failing in getting the shepherd configured. On a fresh git > checkout, I do > autoreconf -vfi > and obtain the following: I think it would be better if the tree had the traditional ./autogen.sh or ./bootstrap, especially because it would contain more then just 'autoreconf -vfi' (see below) > autoreconf: Entering directory `.' > autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext > autoreconf: running: aclocal --force -I m4 > aclocal: warning: couldn't open directory 'm4': No such file or directory Not sure why this happens, I don't see the usual 'AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])' in the shepherd configure.ac file, maybe someone else has a clue? It's a warning though, so it might be ok anyway ... > ... > configure.ac:17: error: required file 'build-aux/config.rpath' not found > configure.ac:17: error: required file './ABOUT-NLS' not found Don't know about the later, but wrt the former, I started to get these errors soon after I started to contribute to guile-gnome/guile-clutter, and here is what I wrote in their respective ./autogen.sh <---- autogen.sh starts here ----> #!/bin/sh # Run this to generate all the initial makefiles, etc. # configure.ac uses the guile.m4 GUILE_FLAGS macro, among others, # which needs build-aux/config.rpath which is not installed anymore by # modern version of automake, and without it, this script will raise # an error. For why it's needed, see the comments wtr in m4/guile.m4. if [ ! -d "build-aux" ]; then mkdir build-aux fi touch build-aux/config.rpath autoreconf -vif echo echo "Now run ./configure --prefix=/your/prefix." <---- autogen.sh ends here ----> > ... > config.status: creating Makefile > config.status: error: cannot find input file: `po/Makefile.in.in' > ... Here there are two problems: 1- the configure.ac has a tipo line 86, it has '... po/Makefile.in' but it should be '... po/Makefile' 2- the po subdir does not have a Makefile.in HTH, David