On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 04:47:14PM +0100, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote: > Danny, > > Danny Milosavljevic wrote on 20/01/18 at 11:40: > > We should change that in core-updates-next, if possible. > > > > I think that native-inputs shouldn't end up in the final binary as a > > reference [...] > This has been discussed before, and I agree. (I started a branch to do > so but it breaks quite a few things and it got tedious. I think I'm > ready for more now.) Yeah, I think a lot of things will break. Something to consider is that not every reference has an effect on the built software. Sometimes the reference is a nonfunctional string that ends up in documentation, or for error messages, or many other places. It may be a lot of work to remove them all. I'd rather we do it somewhere else than core-updates. It's already very difficult to complete the core-updates cycles. We should limit core-updates to updates of core packages, and handle big changes to Guix itself on their own branches.