Mark H Weaver transcribed 2.4K bytes: > Hi Rutger, > > Rutger Helling writes: > > > I've sent in a patch (#29943) that adds a small paragraph to the > > documentation about the current situation. > > > > I believe there was a plan to replace SLiM with GDM for the default > > login manager. Getting GDM to work properly should probably be the > > first step since it has great Wayland support. From what I know GDM can > > default to Wayland and falls back automatically to X11 if for some > > reason Wayland doesn't work. > > > > Alternatively we could switch to SDDM as the default for now, until GDM > > is ready. What about lightdm? Does it not offer wayland support? We have no service for it yet, but as far as I understand the greeters (like 'lightdm-gtk-greeter') writing your own theme is relatively standardized. > I recently switched my x86_64 GuixSD laptop to use SDDM, so I could try > out GNOME on Wayland. It mostly works, but there are still a few > problems: > > * Even after logging in, SDDM is still visibly running within > xorg-server on VT 7, while Wayland is running on VT 8. If you switch > back to VT 7, you can see the login screen still there, with the clock > showing the time that you logged in instead of the current time. I'm > not sure if there are security implications to this, but it's > certainly a waste of system resources. > > * SDDM is based on Qt, so it substantially increases the closure size of > the system, as well as memory usage since SDDM and Xorg-server > continues to run in another VT during your entire session. > > * The "Sound" panel of the GNOME settings is non-functional. Whenever I > try to change anything at all in that panel, it crashes. > > * Startup notification for several GNOME programs is broken, e.g. GNOME > Terminal, Files (Nautilus), Videos (Totem), and possibly other. When > I launch any of those programs, although the program immediately > starts up, GNOME Shell doesn't seem to realize this, and for quite > some time the spinner continues to indicate that the application is > starting up, and it doesn't show up in the Alt-Tab application > switcher. If you switch to another application, you cannot switch > back to it via Alt-Tab. > > * As far as I know, we haven't yet themed SDDM to include our beautiful > GuixSD login screen artwork. It would be a shame to lose that by > default. > > On the other hand, I'm pleased to report that under Wayland, tearing no > longer occurs during video playback, scrolling, etc. > > Anyway, it's very exciting to see progress on this, but I'm reluctant to > bring Qt into our default system closure, and furthermore I'd be > inclined to wait until more of the aforementioned problems are > addressed. > > What do you think? > > Mark > > -- GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588 GnuPG: https://c.n0.is/ng0_pubkeys/tree/keys WWW: https://n0.is/a/ :: https://ea.n0.is