unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: ng0 <ng0@infotropique.org>
To: Arun Isaac <arunisaac@systemreboot.net>
Cc: guix-devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Thunderbird
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 10:31:03 +0000	[thread overview]

Arun Isaac transcribed 0.4K bytes:

> > I was wondering if anyone would work on Astroid mail
> > https://astroidmail.github.io/
> >
> > It seems simpler to package than Thunderbird and it could be extremely
> > useful in the short/medium term
>
> Astroid requires external programs like mpop or offlineimap to fetch
> mail. So it cannot quite replace Thunderbird for the casual mail
> user. Perhaps, claws-mail or blasa are better alternatives. Both
> claws-mail and balsa are already packaged for Guix.

My only usecase for Thunderbird is Enigmail and its coming GNUnet integration
done in corporation of pEp (and GNUnet) and the Enigmail team.

Personal opinion: Thunderbird is really terrible and I have my reasons
why I stopped using it so long ago I stopped counting or caring for its
existence (must've been around '99 or '00 maybe...).

Nevertheless it is a mandatory tool for some people who can't switch
easily and I doubt anyone will embrace the task of getting Thunderbird
into Guix with joy.
So far I'm hitting the first drömpels (road bumpers) in the build process
with a reference within Thunderbird.

Wrt the earlier emails: yes, my intention (also for Icecat/Firefox) is to
provide Addons via Guix to get rid of yet another point of authority
(Mozilla Appstore). It is my understanding that at least a while back
someone was already looking into this and at least the idea was accepted
and welcomed.
So far my only reference is NixOS and Gentoo, where NixOS is more useful
with the way they construct their solutions.
I'll also try the same for Newmoon (Palemoon) (or rather my wip'ish
fork/patchset of Newmoon) before I sent it in when I have it in an presentable,
libre state.

Alternatives exist, yep. But for me it's no only this or only that
application question. It's about dynamic choice.
--
ng0
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588