unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: ng0 <ng0@infotropique.org>
To: Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl>
Cc: guix-devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Using IPFS to host mirrors of source packages
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2017 19:31:06 +0000	[thread overview]

Pjotr Prins transcribed 1.1K bytes:
> On Tue, Aug 22, 2017 at 08:38:32AM +0000, ng0 wrote:
> > Ludovic Courtès transcribed 0.6K bytes:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl> skribis:

> > I hope that you are aware that this isn't that safe.
> > As an intermediate solution it is okay. It is similar to providing
> > torrents. It works, but everyone wants the easy way, the
> > easy solution which works $now.
>
> What do you mean? Gnunet has a focus on privacy (at a cost of speed).
> IPFS is not really meant to be private (though you can host a private
> network). For public data it is safe. You have to trust the original
> party that provides the file, but that is similar to what we are doing
> today fetching data from github, ftp etc. (a Guix SHA check is good
> enough).
>
> Today I was bitten again by R/bioconductor removing source files. It
> would make good sense to me to mirror those files on IPFS. I think
> that is a long term solution.
>
> Pj.

While I don't want to comment on everything, let me just comment this:

I think IPFS is the best for now. I'll continue working on GNUnet and
gnunet-fs on my side and will hope that Guix accepts it once gnunet-fs is
ready for this usage.

Offtopic question: What's with my request for inclusion on savannah?
At least a short comment in 4 weeks would be re-assuring. I'm not sure
if there are technical issues or if everyone is on vacation and otherwise
busy.
--
ng0
GnuPG: A88C8ADD129828D7EAC02E52E22F9BBFEE348588