unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl>
To: Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public12@thebird.nl>
Cc: guix-devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: guile-git trouble (building from source)
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 13:02:10 +0200	[thread overview]

On Sun, Aug 06, 2017 at 03:45:10PM +0200, Pjotr Prins wrote:
> > But yeah, the problem remains for someone building from source.  :-/
>
> I am facing issues with guile-git.
>
> I wish we had a bullet proof way of installing from source. I had it
> with guix environment and now that won't work because guile-git is
> missing and I can't bootstrap...

Today, magically, a 'guix pull' solved it which did not work 3 weeks ago. My
latest 'bullet proof' setup for a clean build from source is:

*** Install the dependencies and build tools using Guix:

The safest route is by using guix environment after starting
a clean shell (note environment does not clutter up your profile!):

#+begin_src sh   :lang bash
screen -S guix-build # I tend to build in screen
env -i /bin/bash --login --noprofile --norc
~/.guix-profile/bin/guix environment guix --ad-hoc help2man git strace \
  pkg-config less vim binutils coreutils grep guile guile-git gcc --no-grafts
bash # you may want this shell
#+end_src sh   :lang bash

In fact pick the most recent guix you have got, see 'ls
/gnu/store/*guix*/bin/guix' and run that command. Use the --no-grafts
switch if you have built packages that way before.

Note that you can start guix by installing the binary tar ball, or
copying it from another machine using the rather useful guix archive
or [[https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/news/creating-bundles-with-guix-pack.html][guix pack]] commands.

You may want to take a note of these running versions

#+begin_src sh   :lang bash
gcc --version
guile --version
#+end_src sh   :lang bash