On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 12:48:22PM +0800, Alex Vong wrote: > Leo Famulari writes: > > [...] > > But, the "Stack Clash" issues took us by surprise and we spent a few > > days writing and testing our fixes. We are committed to supporting > > 32-bit platforms where these bugs are apparently easy to exploit. > > Without access to the exploits or detailed discussion, it was very > > difficult to know if our fixes actually worked. So, we could have > > responded more quickly and effectively with early notice. > [...] > > Should we bring this discussion to nix devs as well? I am sure they are > facing the same issue of not having early access to vulnerabilities. It > will be insightful to know how they dealt with it in the past and their > opinions on joining the list. If somebody who has a relationship with the Nix team would like to discuss it with them, I'd be happy to hear the result, but I don't really have time for it right now. Also, we would not be able to discuss embargoed bugs from linux-distros with them, according to the list policy. Besides, I think our present situation and practices regarding security updates is very different from Nix's. They have different tools for shipping security updates, and they do the "stable" branch thing.