The subject of the two Ghostscripts came up last October, but we didn't really discuss it: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-10/msg00598.html The canonical Ghostscript is developed by Artifex Software Inc: https://ghostscript.com/ We package GNU Ghostscript, which is a fork of Artifex's Ghostscript: https://www.gnu.org/software/ghostscript/ Both programs are distributed under the AGPL, as far as I can tell. But Artifex Ghostscript is actively developed, which I think is very important for C software that is designed to handle untrusted input. If you are curious where Ghostscript is used, try this: $ guix graph --type=reverse-package ghostscript | dot -Tsvg > /tmp/graph.svg