On Sun, 30 Apr 2017 13:59:29 -0700 Chris Marusich wrote: > Petter writes: > > > What do we do about the fonts without licensing info? > > Unfortunately, "no license" is not a free license: Yeah, I kinda figured that one just after I sent the e-mail :) > > https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#NoLicense > > "If source code does not carry a license to give users the four > essential freedoms, then unless it has been explicitly and validly > placed in the public domain, it is not free software." > > The FSDG states: > > https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html > > "License Rules > > 'Information for practical use' includes software, documentation, > fonts, and other data that has direct functional applications. It does > not include artistic works that have an aesthetic (rather than > functional) purpose, or statements of opinion or judgment. > > All information for practical use in a free distribution must be > available in source form. ('Source' means the form of the information > that is preferred for making changes to it.) > > The information, and the source, must be provided under an appropriate > free license. We evaluate specific licenses and list our determinations > in our license list, with separate sections for licenses that are > suitable for software, documentation, fonts, and other useful works. If > such a work is released under a disjunction of licenses, the work is > free as long as at least one of its licenses is free; the system > developers should follow the terms of the applicable free license(s) > when they distribute and/or modify it." > > The same page also has a section on fonts: > > https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#Fonts > > "The licenses below apply to an instantiation of a design in a computer > file, not the artistic design. As far as we know, an implementation of a > design is always copyrightable. The legal status of the artistic design > is complex, and varies by jurisdiction." > > To ensure that this contribution meets these guidelines and respects the > freedom of the system's users, I think we cannot include a font for > which we cannot find an associated license. If we can find a license > for the font and it is a free license, then we could include it. > Thanks for this information! Licensing is a weak field for me. I've made a mental change from blacklisting fonts to whitelisting.