On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 02:59:21PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote: > On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 05:08:29PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote: > > A simple approach is to force LibreSSL to always use its non-getentropy > > code, and lift this restriction once we clearly require newer kernels¹. > > The attached patch does that. > > > > Thoughts? > > > + ;; Do as if 'getentropy' was missing since older Linux kernels lack it > > + ;; and libc would return ENOSYS, which is not properly handled. > > + '(#:configure-flags '("ac_cv_func_getentropy=no"))) > > If we are committed to building glibc with the 2.6 kernel headers, and > to providing substitutes for libressl and it's dependent packages, then > I think this patch is a good option. > > But, it's a bit of a shame to leave this ~2.5 year old feature behind, > especially when the 2.6 Linux series is not even part of the Linux > long-term-support project. [0] These kernels *will* live for a long time > through support from RHEL; their most recent kernel on RHEL7 is 3.10. > > However, I don't fully understand the impact of building glibc with a > newer set of headers, so my objection is a weak one :) After reading more, I realized that my knowledge on this topic was even weaker than I thought. So please disregard what I wrote here.