unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* torbrowser
@ 2017-03-06 15:14 ng0
From: ng0 @ 2017-03-06 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I'm currently occupying the time where I don't study various things and
debug gnunet-service with packaging torbrowser.

So Gentoo (inofficially, 'torbrowser-overlay'[1]) uses the pre-build
archives found on dist.torproject.org in combination with a git checkout
and the torbrowser + firefox patches done by Gentoo devs[1.1].

NixOS in Nixpkgs[2] makes use of patchelf to just fix up the prebuild
variant found on dist.torproject.org.

I suspect that the way Nix 'fixes' this is a no-go for us.

My idea is now to just reconstruct what torproject does, from the git
checkout of torbrowser[3] and eventually later fix Guix specific issues
and fine tuning (freedom issues etc etc).

Cloning takes a rather long time, this is where Andy's shallow-clone
would be useful, which is where I ran into issue and delayed re-working
this for now. If someone is interested I can post the patch which
applied on master recently.

1: An overlay can be compared to what we have as 'GUIX_PACKAGE_PATH',
   distributed in official and inofficial forms.
1.1: The raw data of the ebuild can be seen here, excluding eclasses:
   https://data.gpo.zugaina.org/torbrowser/www-client/torbrowser/torbrowser-45.7.0_p650.ebuild
2: https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/3d104ab2b3e578cb4599b6fffbcc019b09547521/pkgs/tools/security/tor/torbrowser.nix
3: http://dccbbv6cooddgcrq.onion/tor-browser.git