unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* (guix git-download)
@ 2017-01-22 19:51 ng0
From: ng0 @ 2017-01-22 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

I'd like to change the git-download so that it supports
shallow-clone by default.

However I don't understand the current (guix git-download)
enough. Why is it all handled via environment variables?
I don't even see the "recursive" part in the git documentation
for environment variables.
The way it currently is, I can not easily extend the download
command to "git clone --depth 1 --shallow-submodules"

Info:

-depth <depth>

    Create a shallow clone with a history truncated to the
    specified number of commits. Implies --single-branch unless
    --no-single-branch is given to fetch the histories near the
    tips of all branches. If you want to clone submodules
    shallowly, also pass --shallow-submodules.

We don't need the whole history of a git checkout (or any version
control system).

Furthermore, I'd like to add a functionality to select a
branch/tag more easily than just by commit.
--
♥Ⓐ  ng0 -- https://www.inventati.org/patternsinthechaos/

* Re: (guix git-download)
@ 2017-01-22 20:08 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2017-01-22 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ng0; +Cc: guix-devel

ng0 <contact.ng0@cryptolab.net> writes:

> Furthermore, I'd like to add a functionality to select a
> branch/tag more easily than just by commit.

Tags can already be cloned just by using the tag name.  However,
branches in git are just variable pointers, so they cannot be selected
any other way than by specifying a “commitish”.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net

* Re: (guix git-download)
@ 2017-01-22 23:23 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-01-22 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ng0; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 07:51:34PM +0000, ng0 wrote:
> I'd like to change the git-download so that it supports
> shallow-clone by default.

I think this is the right default choice.

We would have to make it possible to disable in our client, because not
all Git servers support shallow cloning.

* Re: (guix git-download)
@ 2017-01-23 14:10   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-01-23 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:

> On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 07:51:34PM +0000, ng0 wrote:
>> I'd like to change the git-download so that it supports
>> shallow-clone by default.
>
> I think this is the right default choice.
>
> We would have to make it possible to disable in our client, because not
> all Git servers support shallow cloning.

Right.

ng0, could you look at this patch series that Andy submitted and the
subsequent reviews?

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-08/threads.html#00258

The comment I made back then was fairly minor.

HTH!

Ludo’.

* Re: (guix git-download)
@ 2017-01-29 22:22     ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2017-01-29 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:
>
>> On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 07:51:34PM +0000, ng0 wrote:
>>> I'd like to change the git-download so that it supports
>>> shallow-clone by default.
>>
>> I think this is the right default choice.
>>
>> We would have to make it possible to disable in our client, because not
>> all Git servers support shallow cloning.
>
> Right.
>
> ng0, could you look at this patch series that Andy submitted and the
> subsequent reviews?
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-08/threads.html#00258
>
> The comment I made back then was fairly minor.
>
> HTH!
>
> Ludo’.

Thanks. I started to work the changes Andy made back into the
current master. I will definitely have questions, and it might
take a while longer but I will give it a try.
--
ng0 -- https://www.inventati.org/patternsinthechaos/