On Sun, Dec 25, 2016 at 08:48:35AM +0100, John Darrington wrote: > On Sat, Dec 24, 2016 at 06:03:45PM -0800, Chris Marusich wrote: > > Why is the wrapper not good here? What would be a better solution? > > Here's why I think the wrapper produced by 'wrap-program' is a good > solution in this case: > > * The wrapper script allows us to package the software without modifying > its source. As previously explained, Asunder is currently written under > the assumption that the tools it requires will be made available via the > PATH environment variable. > > * The wrapper script guarantees "complete deployment" of Asunder (i.e., > no missing dependencies). This is because the wrapper script contains > references to the components in the store that provide the command-line > tools that Asunder requires. > > * The wrapper script requires less work than patching Asunder. > > * The wrapper script is more robust than any patch we might attempt to > apply to Asunder's source code. > > This is a good argument for using a wrapper script in this case. And I > believe these points apply to any component, like Asunder, which is > written under the assumption that tools will be made available via > PATH. I also am willing to believe there are cases where the wrapper > script is undesirable, but I don't think this is one of them. Okay, thanks for explanation. A wrapper does indeed seem appropriate in this case.