With Peter's permission, I'm forwarding this message from guix-security to guix-devel. We fixed this bug in our guile-irregex package in commit fb73f07a0fe, but our chez-irregex and chicken packages are still vulnerable. Note the updated discussion on the chez-irregex bug tracker: https://github.com/fedeinthemix/chez-irregex/issues/1 ----- Forwarded message from Peter Bex ----- Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 20:40:00 +0100 From: Peter Bex To: guix-security@gnu.org Subject: Irregex packages should be updated to 0.9.6 User-Agent: Mutt/1.5.23 (2014-03-12) Hello there, I'm not a Guix user, but I noticed that Guix has several repackaged versions of the "irregex" portable regular expression engine for Scheme. I'm a co-maintainer of the upstream package and I'd like to point out a vulnerability we've found in it, CVE-2016-9954. See the announcement at http://www.openwall.com/lists/oss-security/2016/12/14/18 and the CHICKEN Scheme announcement at http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/chicken-announce/2016-12/msg00000.html (currently no released version has a fix for this issue) The specific Irregex packages in question are: - chicken. See above. It will be fixed in 4.12, once it is released. - chez-irregex. I reported the issue for this port as https://github.com/fedeinthemix/chez-irregex/issues/1 - guile-irregex. I couldn't find a repository for this package, so I'm assuming this is a direct packaging of the portable upstream code from irregex itself. The tarball published on the author's site has now also been updated to 0.9.6. Especially the guile-irregex package could be an important one if Guix itself makes use of irregex for processing user-provided regexes, because it can eat up all available memory if left unrestricted. Cheers, Peter Bex ----- End forwarded message -----