On Fri, Oct 07, 2016 at 09:17:30PM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote: > Hi Guix, > > our build of the “texmaker” package is broken ever since we disabled the > webkit module of our Qt package. I’m currently looking into packaging > up the needed Qt modules, but the obvious question remains: do we want > this? “qtwebengine” not only bundles chromium, chromium itself also > bundles a whole bunch of other stuff. > > Personally, I think it’s acceptable to package “qtwebengine” because > ultimately it’s up to the Qt and Chromium developers to keep their > software secure — and it’s up to the developers of software like > Texmaker to choose their dependencies wisely. As long as we keep > Chromium out of our default “qt” package, thereby preventing it from > being installed for every Qt application, I think we’re good. > > What do you think? The alternative is to drop Texmaker and all the > other packages that depend on Chromium as distributed by Qt. > > ~~ Ricardo > AFAIK Chromium doesn't modify any of its bundled software. Would it make sense to create a chromium-source package that replaces the bundled sources with our sources, allowing us to keep the chromium source and the bundled source up-to-date. Then we could use this new 'chromium-source' package as a replacement source for chromium/inox/qtwebengine? -- Efraim Flashner אפרים פלשנר GPG key = A28B F40C 3E55 1372 662D 14F7 41AA E7DC CA3D 8351 Confidentiality cannot be guaranteed on emails sent or received unencrypted