On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 11:10:57AM +0300, Alex Kost wrote: John Darrington (2016-09-12 17:40 +0200) wrote: > On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 04:44:44PM +0300, Alex Kost wrote: > > I've noticed that you didn't fix these things (long line and #t after > substitute*). Could please do it next time :-) > > The same for 'cfitsio' package. > > Done. > > If this is important why doesn't guix build and/or guix lint check for it? "guix lint" can't check if a phase should end with #t or not, it's up to you check if it is needed. The thing is: if a phase fails, it should return false value, and if it succeeds, it should return non-false value. A returned value of 'substitute*' is unspecified, so here you should add #t to the end of the phase. It works without it, but I would say it happens "by chance" because # is considered to be non-false, but we shouldn't rely on it, so adding #t to such phases is the right thing. 1. Presumably guix build somewhere calls something like: (if (run-phase x) (run-next-phase) (error)) We could change this to: (if (let ((result (run-phase x))) (if (unspecfied? result) (error "Result of phase is unspecified")) result) (run-next-phase) (error)) .... or something similar ... 2. It wouldn't be a bad idea to change subsitute* to return something. For example, the number of substitutions performed. As for the long line, it is 89 chars long, while "guix lint" reports about exceeding 90 chars (see 'report-long-line' in (guix scripts lint) module). BTW I think this is too loose, I would limit it to 80. But your line could be easily shorten, as I wrote at , so instead of the current long line: (uri (string-append "ftp://ftp.atnf.csiro.au/pub/software/wcslib/" name "-" version ".tar.bz2")) it could be: (uri (string-append "ftp://ftp.atnf.csiro.au/pub/software/wcslib/" name "-" version ".tar.bz2")) which fits any screen and thus is more readable I think. I think all the lines are less than 80 right now aren't they? I just felt a bit of a letdown that you ignored my comments and didn't send a message why. I didn't mean to shun you. I appreciate the time and effort you took to review my code. Unfortunately I find the Guix workflow awkward to manage so sometimes I have omitted corrections which ought to have been made. Part of my problem is that currently (due to lack of many services) I cannot send or receive mail from the machine on which I have GuixSD running. Hopefully this will change soon. J' -- Avoid eavesdropping. Send strong encrypted email. PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3 fingerprint = 8797 A26D 0854 2EAB 0285 A290 8A67 719C 2DE8 27B3 See http://sks-keyservers.net or any PGP keyserver for public key.